Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished building my Millett Hybrid headphone amp

Default Finished building my Millett Hybrid headphone amp

I finally sat down and built my Millett Hybrid headphone amp this week/weekend. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out:

Pre-casing:

All wrapped up:

BTW: The orange glow isn't just the tubes, I have orange power indicator LEDs under the tube sockets to increase the effect.

Wow Brad!!

That looks very nice! How many hours did it take you to build?
    -curtis

Thanks Curtis. I don't really know how many total hours it took. It's a pretty easy build and I'm using an off-the-shelf power supply, so I didn't have to build it.

I see some solder....so I figure some of that was involved.

Just did a quick google and see that you can buy the board, but is there somewhere you can buy the entire kit? I also see that a fully built amp sells for $650!
    -curtis

This is the place for info on the MH: http://www.diyforums.org/

If you stick to standard parts, it's about $70-80 for the board and components. Then there's the cost of the case and jacks, probably another $30+. Power supply can be anything from $12 (cheap wall wart) to $80 (fully populated STEPS power supply). In the end, at least $150 in parts total, much higher if you go with fancy stuff in fancy cases.

There aren't any full kits available that I know of, but that website has a bill of materials that includes part numbers from both digikey and mouser. If you're interested in building one, I can help you with picking or ordering parts.

You just gave my Audio Alchemy and I an inferiority complex. Thanks, Brad.
    Nice work.

David

Dave G Guest

Thumbs up

That's a beautiful piece of work! I especially like the way the tubes poke their heads above the top of the case. I can see why you're happy with it.

How's the sound?

Dave

Very groovy! But with my housekeeping habits, I'd worry about a dust bunny invasion...

Brad,
    I am so tempted to try something like this, but I don't use headphones like you do.

For me, I think a two-channel speaker amp would be more worthwhile. Something I could use in my bedroom.

But your amp really looks cool!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    For me, I think a two-channel speaker amp would be more worthwhile. Something I could use in my bedroom.
    Rather than building an amp from scratch (which, speaking for myself, is a little intimidating), you could try modding a T-amp. Lots on instruction/ideas can be found here, and some testimonials here (scroll down). Inexpensive, and should be plenty of power for a bedroom setup. FWIW...