Thread: HTM 200 Placement/Usage

Default HTM 200 Placement/Usage

Several questions here. (1) I would like to put the 200's in the wall and make them flush. Will this hurt performance? I am talking about side and back surround in a 7.1 setup. (2) I will have a 2 rows of seating. Do I still place the 200's behind the last row of listening? (3) Can I use 4 instead of 2 HTM 200 for side surround duties due to 2 rows of seats? (4) Would I be better off using a dipole instead of a direct radiating for the side surrounds? OK, 4 questions. Thanks for any help.

Anyone have any comment on this?
    I was thinking of doing this also, thinking it will sound superior to normal in-wall speakers. Or will it sound like absolute crap compared with regular on-wall mounting.

Great minds think alike. I want to put a pair of 200's in for a 7.1 setup and was thinking about in wall!

It's fun to speculate but this kind of a question can only be answered by the guys at Ascend. If anyone gets an answer, share it with the rest of us.

David

From Jim Salk-

But...
    What happens when you mount this speaker in a wall?

Well, you have now increased the width of the front baffle. It now becomes the entire wall surface, so you have essentially created a baffle of infinite width. In this case, even the low frequencies cannot move to the rear of the speaker.

Since you rolled off the highs with BSC, you will now have too much low frequency energy directed forward. The result will be a boomy, uncontrolled bottom end.

The same would be true, although perhaps to a lesser extent, if you backed the speaker up to the wall. In both cases, an excess of bass energy (in relation to higher frequencies) is directed at the listening position.

This is why speakers designed to be free-standing (which require BSC) should not be mounted in a wall.

The entire text can be found here.

Uh, I guess that takes care of that idea. Oh well. Worth a shot.

Default HTM200 Cosmetic Question

I am using HTM200's as rear speakers in a 6.1 system. I had planned to mount the speakers vertically, but to allow clearance for draperies I need to turn them on their sides. I relocated the Ascend Sticker from the short side to the log side but there is an unsightly glue residue where the logo was originally pasted. Is there a way to remove or cover up the glue residue?

Thanks,

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by schellhase
    I am using HTM200's as rear speakers in a 6.1 system. I had planned to mount the speakers vertically, but to allow clearance for draperies I need to turn them on their sides. I relocated the Ascend Sticker from the short side to the log side but there is an unsightly glue residue where the logo was originally pasted. Is there a way to remove or cover up the glue residue?

Thanks,

Larry

Try GooGone. It consists of a yellowish fluid that smells like oranges. You should be able to find it at Wal-Mart etc. I would suggest to take extra care not to allow this stuff to saturate the adhesive that glues the grill cloth on as this may allow the grill cloth to come loose. Also test it on ONE first to make sure it doesn't discolor the fabric. Let it sit a while before carefully working it with a cloth. GooGone has safefully removed pretty much everything I have used it on before so it is worth a try.

Randy

Randy