Thread: Decision Time

Default Decision Time

I recently heard about the Ascend company while researching some JBL speakers. I am interested in the JBL Northridge E90's or E100's. I was wondering if anyone had advice on whether these JBL speakers would be suited for me or if I should try the Ascends.

I live in a fraternity house, so I will need speakers that can handle high volume for exended periods of time. The speakers must sound good playing all kinds of music, from rap to classical. I am also a musician. I have a good ear for how music should sound. I want a speaker that will be able to allow for critical listening, as well as sound good playing movies, and sound good at loud volumes playing dance music.

Please give me some advice on which speakers would be best suited for the specifications I have described.

Quote Originally Posted by chazjones
    I recently heard about the Ascend company while researching some JBL speakers. I am interested in the JBL Northridge E90's or E100's. I was wondering if anyone had advice on whether these JBL speakers would be suited for me or if I should try the Ascends.

I live in a fraternity house, so I will need speakers that can handle high volume for exended periods of time. The speakers must sound good playing all kinds of music, from rap to classical. I am also a musician. I have a good ear for how music should sound. I want a speaker that will be able to allow for critical listening, as well as sound good playing movies, and sound good at loud volumes playing dance music.

Please give me some advice on which speakers would be best suited for the specifications I have described.
    That's easy......you need a speaker that does it all. Got $100,000 laying around! Just kidding! If you need a "party" speaker, get some Klipsch or Cerwin-Vega speakers with high sensitivity. For critical listening either Ascend SE model should work. If you only get one pair of speakers, the 340's will probably be better suited for sustained party spl's.

Also, if you will be using a sub that will take some strain off the mains. And, you may want beer-proof enclosures as well
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 02-21-2006 at 01:07 PM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Mag is right. For music or movies, I love my Ascends, but they need a sub if you are planning on blasting out dance or rap music from about noon on Friday till Monday morning. If all you need or want is just one pair of speakers to do it all, the E100's may be a better fit.
    - EVH III