Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Begin my SE upgrade!

Wink Begin my SE upgrade!

Well, I just packed up my 3 170's in their original boxes and all packings. Glad I kept them all this time!

I will MISS them. I put my Dahlquist QX6's in their place; Very good speakers but NOT as good as the Ascends in their classic incarnation. This was proven- out by many blind listening tests among family and friends. (great bass though)

Anyway, I just got done listening to some Diana Krall and the "Best of Sade" CD. I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful girlfriend who appreciates great sound!
    For music, I have the HSU VTF MK-2 and Rotel 1062 integrated along with the Rotel 1072 CD player. I don't think these speakers can sound any better! Or can they......?

I just hope it won't take too long to find out.
    Last edited by rifmon; 02-28-2006 at 05:55 AM. Reason: they' 170's not 370's duh

I have been looking through messages on the upgrade process and cost for the 170s. Was this posted?

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood
    Was this posted?
    No.

David

If you email Ascend they will give you the details. I'm waiting to gather up the remaining funds so I can send my 170's in. I don't know if Dave minds me posting the details, so Dave....feel free to remove this info if you need to!

-The 170SE upgrade is $80/speaker = $160/Pr.+$20 return shipping = $180

This includes new tweeters, woofers & crossovers, cleaning & testing and new packaging. Dave said the fee does not really cover their costs
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I'll be sending in my 170 mains as soon as I finish a couple things up (hopefully in a week or two). I know it's silly, but in addition to improved sound, I'm looking forward to the cooler looking phase plug on the woofers (I never have my grilles on). Sometime later, I'll work on doing my 340 center - perhaps I'll have Ascend send out an unfinished 340SE cabinet and make a center to match my mains (I should have enough veneer left).

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Sometime later, I'll work on doing my 340 center - perhaps I'll have Ascend send out an unfinished 340SE cabinet and make a center to match my mains (I should have enough veneer left).
    Almost be a shame to lay that on it's side. I'd love to see some 340M's with that kind of work. Mmmmm.....maybe I should.....

David

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    I'll be sending in my 170 mains as soon as I finish a couple things up (hopefully in a week or two). I know it's silly, but in addition to improved sound, I'm looking forward to the cooler looking phase plug on the woofers (I never have my grilles on). Sometime later, I'll work on doing my 340 center - perhaps I'll have Ascend send out an unfinished 340SE cabinet and make a center to match my mains (I should have enough veneer left).
    LOL! I thought the same thing about the phase plug, but I leave my grills on all the time(kids!). I did take them off last week to peek at'em again with the plastic plugs before I ship them off for surgery
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    Almost be a shame to lay that on it's side. I'd love to see some 340M's with that kind of work. Mmmmm.....maybe I should.....
    Because the 340 has such tight radii on the front panel, you can't really put veneer on the front. I'm thinking of doing gloss black on the front and back, and veneer on the sides (remember, my speaker is on a pull-out drawer below the TV, so the sides would be visible). You could veneer only the flat part of the front, then have a gloss black radius (like the new ACI Titan XL subs - http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/titan/titanxl.htm ). The best option, IMO, would be a solid wood baffle like Salk speakers (http://www.salksound.com/gallery/HTC-bubinga.html), but that would be more difficult and expensive (not to mention a completely custom cabinet rather than finishing an Ascend one).

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    If you email Ascend they will give you the details. I'm waiting to gather up the remaining funds so I can send my 170's in. I don't know if Dave minds me posting the details, so Dave....feel free to remove this info if you need to!

-The 170SE upgrade is $80/speaker = $160/Pr.+$20 return shipping = $180

This includes new tweeters, woofers & crossovers, cleaning & testing and new packaging. Dave said the fee does not really cover their costs

I'll admit, I was a little surprised by the SE upgrade price at first, but it really is amazing what you get in the SE upgrade, especially when compared to mods and/or x-over upgrades offered by others.

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon
    Well, I just packed up my 3 170's in their original boxes and all packings. Glad I kept them all this time!

I will MISS them. I put my Dahlquist QX6's in their place; Very good speakers but NOT as good as the Ascends in their classic incarnation. This was proven- out by many blind listening tests among family and friends. (great bass though)

Anyway, I just got done listening to some Diana Krall and the "Best of Sade" CD. I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful girlfriend who appreciates great sound!
    For music, I have the HSU VTF MK-2 and Rotel 1062 integrated along with the Rotel 1072 CD player. I don't think these speakers can sound any better! Or can they......?

I just hope it won't take too long to find out.
    So, Ascend has already contacted you to return them for the upgrade?