Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EXBAC for use with projector...

Default EXBAC for use with projector...

I read that the EXBAC was designed to account for the problems that occur with placing the center channel on top of a TV. I have a projector setup and my center channel is on a stand ~1 foot off the front wall, thus there is no TV to deal with. My question is, does the EXBAC still benefit the center channel when it is not placed on top of TV?

You can get the center w/o it since you don't need it. Just talk to the guys at Ascend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory05G35
    I read that the EXBAC was designed to account for the problems that occur with placing the center channel on top of a TV. I have a projector setup and my center channel is on a stand ~1 foot off the front wall, thus there is no TV to deal with. My question is, does the EXBAC still benefit the center channel when it is not placed on top of TV?
    I questioned David at Ascend with regard to this situation and he reccomended a regular 340SE without EXBAC.
    The best situation would be to place the 340SE vertical if possible.

I could place it vertically I suppose. Room is not a problem, but it's just counter intuitive you know...

Is the price for a 'normal' 340 the same as the center?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by dbart
    I questioned David at Ascend with regard to this situation and he reccomended a regular 340SE without EXBAC.
    The best situation would be to place the 340SE vertical if possible.

Why vertical? Is the tweeter aligned a certain way?
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bailey
    Why vertical? Is the tweeter aligned a certain way?
    Because the speakers will then be exactly alike with the same dispersion characteristics.
    -curtis

Question

Though if his center channel speaker is not at the same height as his L/R speakers, it will sound different being closer to the floor.

Equipment List:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bailey
    Though if his center channel speaker is not at the same height as his L/R speakers, it will sound different being closer to the floor.
    The same goes with a horizontal speaker as well.

Maybe I missed something, but I am imagining three 340SE's along the front all at the same height.
    -curtis

Exclamation

I don't see a mention of what type of stand, other than it is around 1 foot away from the front wall. Unless he is using a screen that is acoustically transparent, the speaker would have to be above or below the screen, in which case it may have to be placed horizontally.

We need pictures!

Equipment List:

I don't have stands for all three front speakers as I don't have the speakers yet . The only way I could have them at the same height across the front would be to have the left and right speakers lower to the ground than I might otherwise do.

My center channel speaker is now about 2-2.5 off the ground (I do have a stand for it, I'll have to measure when I get home) [I currently have an Athena setup AS-F2's, C1, R1]

I'm leaning towards trying 5 HTM-200's right now. If I like it I will have saved a nice bundle of $$. If I had those, it might be a little easier to try and place the tweeter on the same horizontal plane than for the 340's. I assume since the tweeters are the most directional that trying to get them on the same plane should be pretty good (as opposed to setting all three speakers in the same orientation on the same plane).