Thread: Arcam AVR300 with 6.1 340/170/3MK3

Question Arcam AVR300 with 6.1 340/170/3MK3

I feel honored to enter the Hallowed Halls of Ascend for my first time. After two months of intensive research and reading of every review and opinion that I can Google, I feel I have found my home with David and Ascend Acoustics. I listened to all the usual global fanfare found in Hi-Fi shops, and I clicked through all the Online Sources. I was first sold on Aperions, then Axioms, then Rockets, and then back to Aperion. Glad I discovered all the Buzz on none other than Ascend Acoustics, from my old home town neighborhood of Gardena, CA. UNREAL!!

Alright, here's the question I wish to present to the Ascend Community.
    I have settled on matching the Arcam AVR300 receiver and the Arcam D79 player with the Ascend 6.1 package #S33-2025. That is 340's across the front, 170's across the rear (wall mounted), and the HSU VTF-3 MK 3.
    Has anyone had the pleasure to hear this promissing combination? I would be very interested and grateful to hear from anyone who can help me out with some insight. From what I have read it would appear these electronics would be able to bring out the most that Ascend has to offer, which to me seems to be the gold standard by which others are measured.

I eagerly await all comers! Thank You!

Warm Regards,
    Ken
    Philippines
    Last edited by Timbre; 02-11-2006 at 02:36 AM.
    Sierra 1 R/L
    CMT-340 SE Center!
    CBM-170 SE Surrounds
    HTM-200 Rears
    HSU VTF-3 MK2 Sub
    Arcam AVR300 Receiver
    Arcam DV79 CD, DVD, DVD-A Player
    Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray Player
    Sony Bravia KLV-V40A10 40" HD LCD

Welcome, Ken. If that set-up dosen't knock your socks off, you ain't wearin socks.
    David

Nice to Greet you Bikeman!

Thanks for your quick reply.

Actually my socks will probably get knocked off and blown out o' the room!

So you mean to say this combo would be tough to beat without spending my 401k!

Do you have any first hand experience with Arcam?

Wondering what your set up is?

I feel an itchy trigger finger on sealing this deal.

Thank You !!
    Ken
    Sierra 1 R/L
    CMT-340 SE Center!
    CBM-170 SE Surrounds
    HTM-200 Rears
    HSU VTF-3 MK2 Sub
    Arcam AVR300 Receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Timbre
    So you mean to say this combo would be tough to beat without spending my 401k!
    Yeah, that's the great thing about audio today as opposed to audio from "the good old days." We can have great performance today for a fraction of what it used to cost.

Do you have any first hand experience with Arcam?
    Last Fall, I got to listen to what I think was a model 200 running some Boston Acoustics. That was one sweet set-up.

Wondering what your set up is?
    I have 340's accross the front with 200's as surrounds. Last Fall, I picked up the Panasonic XR-55 receiver and have been very happy with everything. I use a Panasonic DVD/CD player and I have a SoundBridge sub that I use only for movies. It's cheap and dosen't compliment the 340's well at all for music. I also have my PC hooked up to the receiver and listen to Radio Paradise alot.
    I have two other two channel set-ups in the house that my wife and I get a good amount of use out of.

I feel an itchy trigger finger on sealing this deal.
    If it's in the budget, go for it. I'd be glad to break it in for ya. No charge.

David

Timbre,
    How 'bout you get setup and let us know how it sounds. I've been following a Outlaw vs. Arcam vs. Rotel thread in AVS for the last week, which has me drooling about possible future upgrade possibilities (probably won't happen for years down the line though). I know nothing of these brands, so am very curious about how they might mate w/ my Ascends too. I currently have the classic version (waiting for upgrades when avail) of the setup you're interested in (340 LCR, 170 surrounds, VTF3).

I have an Arcam AVR300 with 340SE's in the L/R and a 340C SE center with an Hsu VTF-3mkII. With the Arcam I can bi-amp the front L/R speakers, which I do and the sound is really amazing. Clear with a nice soundstage for movies. I've heard things I never heard before, especially dialogue. For music, it is better still. What I really noticed about the music is how non-fatiguing it is. No hint of glare or lack of detail.

You will be glad you pulled the trigger. The Arcam/Ascend/Hsu combo would be very hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by KRVance
    With the Arcam I can bi-amp the front L/R speakers, which I do and the sound is really amazing.
    I suppose you are not using surrounds so you can avail of the bi-amp feature on the Arcam? Have you ever wanted 6.1/7.1 sound? What speakers would you suggest?

Was wondering if your Arcam ever had any problems clicking or buzzing like in some old threads I saw?

What is your DVD Player?

What I really noticed about the music is how non-fatiguing it is. No hint of glare or lack of detail.
    I have heard that a measure of good speakers is how well they sound at LOW volume. How would you rate your 340's with the Arcam?

How big is your room?

You will be glad you pulled the trigger. The Arcam/Ascend/Hsu combo would be very hard to beat.
    As soon as I get a few more answers from DaveF, I expect it to be a done deal
    Sierra 1 R/L
    CMT-340 SE Center!
    CBM-170 SE Surrounds
    HTM-200 Rears
    HSU VTF-3 MK2 Sub
    Arcam AVR300 Receiver

For 5.1-7.1 I would use the cbm 170 SE's for timbre match.

No clicking or buzzing from the AVR300.

Front end is HK DVD 31 with McCormack DAC-1.

Low volumes are very good. At night if I'm out in the living room alone I can hear all but the LF from the sub. ( Don't want to hear that anyway with people sleeping!)

My room is about 15' deep and 18' wide with cut outs for dining room and entry way. Not the best environment but it hasn't hampered my enjoyment of the system. Next house will have dedicated room.

Timbre,

If you has not yet ordered, I'd suggest you consider using HTM-200 across the rear.

The HTM-200 is better for wall mounting (besides heavier, the 170 is rear ported, you should not attach to a wall), less obtrusive, cheaper and you'd be giving up very little in performance (if any) for surround duty.
    CBM-170 L/R
    CMT-340C
    HTM-200 surr
    STF-2 SW
    Marantz SR-8400 rcvr
    LG DZ-9921 DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge59
    If you has not yet ordered, I'd suggest you consider using HTM-200 across the rear.

The HTM-200 is better for wall mounting (besides heavier, the 170 is rear ported, you should not attach to a wall), less obtrusive, cheaper and you'd be giving up very little in performance (if any) for surround duty.

I was wondering if the 170's in the rear would be better for DTS 5.1 sound?
    I saw some brackets to space the 170's 3" off the wall to accommodate the rear port.

Maybe I would add an HTM-200 for a 6.1 center rear channel, since I would think that truly would be light duty.

Anyways, still need to hear back from DaveF to finalize the deal. Maybe I'll call him today.
    Sierra 1 R/L
    CMT-340 SE Center!
    CBM-170 SE Surrounds
    HTM-200 Rears
    HSU VTF-3 MK2 Sub
    Arcam AVR300 Receiver