Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 340SE Initial Impressions: The Democratization of High-End Sound Reproduction

The problem at AVS is there are a couple guys who, instead of responding to posts, nitpick over your grammer, and keep stringing you along until you finally fight with them, and they innocently ask "what, it's not sensible that I ask you to explain yourself?" as if you've been the one prolonging the pointless argument and derailing the thread.

Then there are those who state matter of factly "you have no right to that opinion, unless [fill criteria I demand]"

The sad thing is that the moderator does not control this kind of bullying. Even sadder when someone with real audio knowledge posts and next thing you know these same guys pounce on him, telling him "only what your ears say matters," when clearly whenever someone posts what they hear, unless it goes with the party line, they get ostracized for it! AVS...is a really sad place. There are around 4-5 guys who continually do this [to] forum regulars and new posters, as if it's "their space" and they can create the posting rules, and it doesn't apply to them. It's sad, just sad the forum is run by them and not the moderator.
    Last edited by Asliang; 02-10-2006 at 10:57 PM.

The big problem is how remarkably close this is to another thread for another consumer direct speaker company. That thread, about 3-4 years ago now, and the avowing that that speaker was the best ever at that price point made any thread about that company's products a target for attacks. The original thread I think still holds the record for largest AVS thread on speakers. You no longer see fans of that company post much on AVS do to the rath of those who hated all their best ever talk.

Everyone loves the speaker they have chosen and when you post about a speaker being the best and beating others people take it personally. People take it as their decision being attacked.

Yeah...and those kids broke Piggy's glasses too!

Seriously though...nice, glowing review. If it were the only glowing review of Ascend speakers, I would be skeptical, but almost every review of Ascend speakers is a glowing review. Perhaps every person who has ever heard Ascend speakers is just delusional, but I think that is highly unlikely

Jon

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the exceptionally well written review... I will say that I fully appreciate it so thank you.

It was nice speaking with you today and I did read the complete mess on AVS (thanks for letting me know). I don't really know how to comment on what happened over there but as most people recommended, don't sweat it. You enjoy your new speakers and that is what matters most to you.

An exceptionally positive review turns into a war, an exceptionally negative review turns into a war, I personally don't think it is wise to allow mediocrity to become the norm... but this seems to be well represented and even encouraged in today's society...

Adam... Again, I thank you
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Special

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    An exceptionally positive review turns into a war, an exceptionally negative review turns into a war, I personally don't think it is wise to allow mediocrity to become the norm... but this seems to be well represented and even encouraged in today's society...
    This reminds me of a quote from the Incredibles...

Dash: Dad always said our powers were nothing to be ashamed of. Our powers made us special.
    Helen: Everyone's special, Dash.
    Dash: Which is another way of saying no-one is.

I need to go check out this thread.
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 02-14-2006 at 08:35 AM.
    Jon O.

You know, I used to like AVS, but I can't really stand it anymore. I go on once in a while to see if there might be useful information about a particular product, but that's pretty much it. There are more than a few knowitalls, and neverwrongs that just make the whole board intollerable to me now. Typical transition I guess, since so many people are on it now. That thread was just too funny, and the sad part is that there are so many like that now.

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Hi Adam,

Thank you for the exceptionally well written review... I will say that I fully appreciate it so thank you.

It was nice speaking with you today and I did read the complete mess on AVS (thanks for letting me know). I don't really know how to comment on what happened over there but as most people recommended, don't sweat it. You enjoy your new speakers and that is what matters most to you.

Adam... Again, I thank you
    Dave, it's my pleasure, believe me. I'm still enjoying my speakers thoroughly, especially now that I'm playing lossless audio at bit-perfect 44.1kHz output through the popular Chaintech AV710 and Foobar2000 with kernel streaming. Killer combo when mated with your 340SE's.

The insanity of my AVS thread seemed to die down as the post trailed off in the new posts list, and I just stopped commenting further having said all I cared to say, which I think was the right thing to do. Plus, it is still my hope that people seeking (as I was when I was speaker shopping) an opinionated review of Ascends with qualifications of what experience the listener has will find use out of my post.

Anyway thanks all!

Regards,
    Adam

Default Re: 340SE Initial Impressions: The Democratization of High-End Sound Reproduction

Just dropping by to see what's new, and wanted to note that I still LOVE these puppies.

My Ascends are currently being driven by this, FYI. I built it myself in 2006 when Kevin first released them.

Interestingly, the cross-post of this review I did on AVSForum was apparently deleted. That flamewar was epic. Remember that, Curtis? Yeesh.

Anyway, good sound to all.

Cheers,
    Adam

Default Re: 340SE Initial Impressions: The Democratization of High-End Sound Reproduction

Adam,

I only wish you weren't so ambivalent ;-).

Just wait to those puppies break in a little. I noticed a significant improvement after a few weeks.

We had a party last week and I showed our guests our new home theater. One of our guest had gone to the local big box and asked for top of the line. They sold her some speakers from a long standing company known for their large corner speakers that use horn drivers. I'm sure she spent more on speakers than I did.

After watching some clips and listening to a little music, her response was: "OK, now I have a serious case of speaker envy!"

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    Adam,

I only wish you weren't so ambivalent ;-).

Just wait to those puppies break in a little. I noticed a significant improvement after a few weeks.
    Oh they're quite broken in...if you scroll up again you'll note that post was made in February 2006 :-D. I was just stopping by to perform thread necromancy and say I still love 'em, especially with the amp that costs decidedly more than the speakers :-).

Glad you're wow-ing the neighbors. I have steered many people to David's wonderful creations over these few years and will continue to do so.

Cheers,
    Adam