Thread: subwoofer question

Default subwoofer question

Any that has or has had and can reply with simple, intelligent (no ofense to anyone here), direct reply or advise for my needs?

Thinking of getting the HSU VTF 2 or 3 (Is there a difference in the prior mentioned v/s the VTF 2 "MKII" or VTF 3 "MKII?"). So here is the question... I hear the HSU VTF 2 (HV2) rival in SVS is the PB-10 and the HSU VTF 3 (HV3) rival in SVS is the PB-12. Is there anyone out there that has listened to either the HV2 or HV3 and the PB-10 or PB-12 and can give me an expert or appropriate opinion concering why I should go with one over the other? AA recommends the HSU (let me clarify, they recommend anything that sounds good and fits my needs but they like/appreciate and their site suggests HSU) and I am NOT disagreeing with them but have read many a good review on both. I currently have a Velodyne DPS-10 from CC and it is in a 3500 sq ft living area. For the record, it sounds fine to me and where it is strategically placed I can really hear it and feel the vibration around my 2400 sqft home so it does the job sufficently for me... I don't really need anything to piss my neighbors off (but it would be fun!) but do want to get the best audible/physical "bang" for the buck since I am going to spend it. The DPS-10 I now have was $450 so I am willing to pay that now and at most $500 for one that can compete/compare/beat it. I will consider higher cost if it can be proven why one of the above is a more solid value and efficient for my needs.

Assume 50% HT & 50% M to keep things equal. I have a 15.5' x 16' room and it is 18.5' tall. Subwoofer will be on carpet on a slab. Ok, give this one a go if you could please and I am willing to hear opinions on anything that is appropriate match but please don't go over limits given or asked about... I don't care about nor will I have anything smaller than a 10" nor anything larger than a 12" (I like my spleen and other internal organs where they are at this time)!

Thanks for anyone's time for the help and for reading this through. I hope to be an AA owner soon... 340 SE or 170 SE is my next question! I appreciate you guys ~ AC

For the money right now, the Mirage Omni-S12 ($400) is the best bang for the buck. It has been compared to the VTF-3 in a lot of ways. Yeah the HSU will play a bit deeper and louder, but it's $300 more! I bought one to go with my Ascends and absolutely love it! I played WOTW on it today and was astounded by its output.