Thread: Got my Ascends!!!

Smile Got my Ascends!!!

My speakers arrived on Monday, about an hour after I called Dave checking on them. What a great way to start the week! I am so freakin jazzed about this! The first real speakers I've owned that are actually worth something.

I bought 3 - 340 SE's for the front and 4 - 170 SE's for the surrounds. I've only been able to run the front 3 channels because that's all I had previously in my family room. These replaced some old, old Kenwood satellite speakers boxiest, flattest sounding speakers ever.

So far, nothing but good sounds. I haven't really done much critical listening yet.... I watched/listened to a few scenes from War of the Worlds and listened to a few songs from Dream Theater's Live at Budokan discs.... I like what I hear!

I also have a VTF3-HO turbo on order to finish the system. Now if I could only get my HT finished!

WOW! You should be jazzed! A full compliment of 340SE's up front and four 170SE's as surround duty... AND a VTF-3HO on order!! I'm absolutely jealous.

Randy

Default wow

yeh, seriously, that must be an amazing experience. that's what i hope to have some day... but that won't be for a long while.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Congratulations!

I also got my pair of 340SE's today! I had to pass on the Hsu STF-1 because they are backordered.

My first impressions are that this setup is so very quiet and clean sounding. I feel like for music I have to crank it up...but when I do, everything is just crystal clear. I have it connected to a Panasonic XR55, bi-wired and bi-amped for what its worth.

So far I have only listened to some Dire Straits & Tool...both sounded amazing!

Yeah, nice system!! I have the same setup, only with the classics.
    You won't be disappointed!

Rick

I've got a H/K AVR7200 so there's plenty of umphhh behind them. I'll have to listen to some Tool because I love that band!

I am in such heaven... the old Kenwoods I was using for the L and R were originally my surround speakers (CRS-300). My old L&R's were floor standing speakers made by Omni audio. They weren't bad, but to go from something that would actually reproduce some low end (they had 12" woofers) to these cheap little satellites, it just killed me. My wife didn't want the big floor standing speakers anymore, so we put these little things on top of our entertainment center and hid them behind greenery/plants so you couldn't see them. They sounded so boxy it made me sick.... I actually quit listening to music on anything other than my iPod or computer because I have decent headphones and computer speakers.

Just listening to plain old TV is unreal now. There's actually some low end and a very distinct separation of low's. mid's and high's. Before, it just sounded like 1 frequency, boxy and just horrible.

Am I completely satisfied with the sound? No, but that's only because the 4 - 170's are sitting on the floor, not even hooked up and that my sub isn't here yet. I am absolutely positive that once my HT is done, I have some acoustic treatments and get everything hooked up, I will be floored.

The biggest thing though is the total price for the system. I originally planned to spend $3-3,500 on my 7.1 setup. At first, I was sold on Def Techs because I heard their flagshipp 7000's and everything at a Tweeter store. I loved them and was really into the center channel and surrounds having small subs in them... especially the center. I felt it just helped the sound so much. I also started looking at Paradigm, B&W and Boston Acoustics. Then, I discovered the AVS forum and started looking at Rockets, Aperion and Ascend because of the value for dollar ratio.

Let me tell you, I spent under $2500 and my wife is thrilled. Here I am acting like a little kid since I ordered new speakers and my wife was loving me because I spent less than I originally told her.

So, if you haven't bought speakers yet, my advice to you is to out to a store and look at a system that's reasonably priced and sounds good. Then, buy the Ascend's, save your money and score points.

Got my Ascends!!!

Congrats!!

Me? Well, I got a rock. (apologies to Charles Schulz)

All kidding aside, I'm going to opt for a pair of 170SEs once the taxman releases my funds.

I need something for nearfield listening....2 meters max. The 170SEs seem like just the ticket.

todd