Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which 5 speakers for HT?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge59
    Quinn,

Sorry for my ignorance. I thought the tweeter were silk (cause I think they are not aluminum...). Which kind is it?
    You'd need to ask Dave what the fabric is on 200's tweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    No matter how much the engineers say it won't make a difference or the difference is so minute that it dosen't justify the increased cost, the public has just gotta have it. Let's have a guess at how long before Dave F. gives in against his better judgement. I've got January 2007.

David
    Dave has posted somewhere that if there is enough demand he'll redesign the 200 with the SEAS tweeter but it would involve a price increase.

I have the 170SE's as mains, 340SE Center and 200's for surround. I have been listening to them for a few days now quite a bit. I have been home with a back injury. Anyway, the 200's, IMHO, can hold their own to the new SE line. I cannot hear any noticable difference between them. Maybe it is because they are doing surround duty, but I have listened with DVD-A's as well. I would not consider myself an audiophile, but I have a decent ear. Bottom line, if you are using the 200's by themselves or as surrounds with the rest of the line, don't sweat it! I really don't believe the 200 owners are missing that much. The 200, for what it is, is a GREAT loudspeaker!

I have a guess that you, experts, may judge better:

the 200's sound a bit brighter than the 170 and 340 (which are no bright at all); maybe it's just some kind of auditive illusion, cause it goes shallower in the bass range...

so, if they put this new tweeter on the 200, it might sound a little harsh and seem (subjectively) "unbalanced", even though Dave would certainly make it with all his scientific precision measurements.

besides, the increase in cost might not be worth the benefit in the highs and maybe Dave is spending his energy in extending the bass range of the speaker.
    CBM-170 L/R
    CMT-340C
    HTM-200 surr
    STF-2 SW
    Marantz SR-8400 rcvr
    LG DZ-9921 DVD