Thread: Test tones harmful?

Default Test tones harmful?

Would playing the Real Traps test tones and Avia frequency sweeps at 90-95dB be harmful to speakers/sub? At certain frequencies I hear port noise, sputtering, whispering and the like.

what is the frequency range that are causing these problems? Are you hearing the bad stuff coming from the sub or speakers? Why are you playing them so loud?
    -curtis

frequencies less than 30hz, but sometimes mid-range bass too, around 50-60hz. I usually play them around 80dB, but just wondering if 90dB would be harmful as it hits that decibel at some frequencies.

it should be fine.....but I don't think you should be hearing those funny noises.
    -curtis

the "chuffing" noise (i think you call it?) is definitely coming from my Mirage S12 sub and not the Ascends. I played the tones w/ sub disabled and ascends were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by KPFury
    frequencies less than 30hz, but sometimes mid-range bass too, around 50-60hz. I usually play them around 80dB, but just wondering if 90dB would be harmful as it hits that decibel at some frequencies.
    I wouldn't call 50-60hz mid-range for bass. Mid-range for what the sub has to handle, yes. You can experiment with position to see if that helps the sub out. If that dosen't help to any extent, I'd get in touch with Mirage and see what they have to say about the limits of their sub. Lots of subs are going to let ya know you've exceeded their limits with this kinda imput. Let us know if you come up with anything.

David

A continuous tone at 90-95db could overheat coils if you play for more than a short while.

Can you use the Behringer Feedback Destroyer to tame the lower frequencies for the Ascend 340SE's AND a sub?

BFD will work great for the sub but keep it out of the signal path for the rest of the speakers.