Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Rock, AR please. Other questions too.

Asethetics is a tricking thing when it comes to speakers. Yes, there are though speakers out there with nice wood finsih to them, but that's not always desirable. I showed my wife both the Ascends and the Onix Rockets and she preferred the Ascends because the black sort of disappears into the background. So, depending on how you look at it, "noticing" your speaker visually can be a good thing or bad. We just want to notice the sound.

Bradley

Bradley- My wife was the same. She said while the Rockets are beautiful they do not match the decor(HER decor). My Ascends just kind of disappear into the black of the TV, rack/stand, and componets. I'm happy that I am not noticing "boxes" all around the room.

Didn't I see where David said they have more of the unfinished cabinets availible?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Quinn

......She said while the Rockets are beautiful they do not match the decor(HER decor). <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

She probably knew they sounded better too. []

-curtis

She has become spoiled by the Ascends. She asked just a couple of days ago if new speakers would help her car stereo.

Been the M&K route. Save yourself the time and effort.

picasso_04901@yahoo.com

As for Paradigm you're going to need at least Studio 20s to match the sound from the 170s.

BTW- I got the Ascends for HT and have since rediscovered and added to my music collection to the point I'm least 80% music now.

Can anyone quote prices based on these packages:

L/R/SL/SR 170. 340 center.

L/R/SL/SR/C 340.

L/R/C 340. SL/SR 170.

Prices with stands for L/R included and excluded, please.

Also, what about some opinions regarding those packages based on the information I provided previously.

You should call or email Ascend for pricing. Since this board is not owned or run by Ascend....we can't quote prices any better than what you find on Ascend's website.

For your application, any one of the packages will do fine. I have a 14x18x8-9 room with one open doorway and I use your third choice and it works great. But I also used 170's up front as well....and there was nothing wrong with that.

-curtis

Hello all!

Been perusing this board a couple days now, doing crash-course research on speakers. An audiophile I am not, a philistine, I am.[]

In doing research comparing Axioms Mti3s and 22s, Swan Divas and a couple other value speakers, the Ascend 170s seem to have the smallest overall size in relation to their room sound-filling capability. Over at the Axiom board, most seem to prefer the 22ti to the 3ti. However, the 22ti jumps to 17" tall, and even the 3ti is an inch and a half taller than the 170.

The Swan Divas look awesome, very unique, but definitely must be a showcase piece in you decor given their larger dimensions (16" tall) and standout look.

Even thougth the Ascends look spartan, or too bland to some, given their slightly smaller dimensions and unassuming appearance, they can probably be less obtrusive. This is especially true if either your entertainment center and/or components have some black color schemes incorporated.

There was another thread about Ascend starting to do custom painting, which sounds intriguing.. albeit, at a higher cost.

Kinda like the idea of rust, if it's lighter shade. Seems like it would be a versatile color. Anyway, I digress. carry on..

That is a bold statement regarding Paradigm versus Ascend. How would you compare to Axiom? I was thinking the 170 would compare to the Mini Monitor or Monitor 3. That is why I want to audition Ascends. Offering superior performance to the Monitor 5s at around 70% the cost sounds too good to be true.

Curtis, good point about calling them. My brain has been a bit wonky lately and I had already forgotten the board was independent. [:I]