Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 340SE tweeter question

Default 340SE tweeter question

I just hooked up my brand new 340SEs to my XR55 and I thought one sounded kind of strange so I pulled the cover off and noticed that the tweeter was pushed in! I managed to get it to pop out after playing with it for a few seconds, but my question is whether or not this might have a permanant effect on the sound.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by chiabob
    I just hooked up my brand new 340SEs to my XR55 and I thought one sounded kind of strange so I pulled the cover off and noticed that the tweeter was pushed in! I managed to get it to pop out after playing with it for a few seconds, but my question is whether or not this might have a permanant effect on the sound.-Matt
    It shouldn't matter. If it does, you'll hear from Ascend ASAP.

David

Quote Originally Posted by chiabob
    I just hooked up my brand new 340SEs to my XR55 and I thought one sounded kind of strange so I pulled the cover off and noticed that the tweeter was pushed in! I managed to get it to pop out after playing with it for a few seconds, but my question is whether or not this might have a permanant effect on the sound.

-Matt
    Sorry to hear this! Perhaps a finger accidentally pushed it in during packaging...

Tweeter damage in this case is doubtful, but a permanent deformity could be problematic. Please, carefully inspect the tweeter visually.. If you see any creases or indentations let me know quickly.

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Matt,

Sorry to hear about your tweeter... When you have a minute, can you give me your impressions of the 340SEs with your XR-55? It'll be moot point when mine arrive in a week but I'd be grateful for some comments. The sound is so sweet with my 170s and XR-55 combo the only thing really lacking is deep bass. Had to have the 340SEs though...

I'll inspect it tonight and let you know.
    Thanks for the quick response!!

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Beuby
    Matt,

Sorry to hear about your tweeter... When you have a minute, can you give me your impressions of the 340SEs with your XR-55? It'll be moot point when mine arrive in a week but I'd be grateful for some comments. The sound is so sweet with my 170s and XR-55 combo the only thing really lacking is deep bass. Had to have the 340SEs though...
    I haven't heard the 170SEs, but the 340SE's with the Panny is sweeet You won't get the deep deep bass, but what you do get has very good punch which plays cleanly and of which there is a suprising amount of. When I played hiphop tracks w/ deep basslines, it 'almost' sounded like there was a small sub in the room

I'm still trying to figure out if I like the 340s better for music w/ my Mirage S12 sub or just by themselves as the bass sounds so clean and tight. I'll have better impressions after I calibrate w/ the SPL meter and Avia.

Many thanks... I have 170s (non SE) and in my small listening room (11 x 14) they are adequate for bass (for me, since I listen to mostly jazz) so the 340SEs should be fully adequate for my bass needs. Straying off topic even further, I was listening to Santana's "Shaman" (?) last night and hearing details I've never heard before with my old receiver. C'mon UPS...
    Last edited by Beuby; 02-02-2006 at 02:17 PM.

I haven't had the time to sit down and listen to them for more than a couple minutes. I'll let you know what I think later this week.

OK, here are some pictures of the tweeter. If I look really close I can see a crease and an indentation. Maybe these are so small they won't make a difference.

-Matt
    Last edited by chiabob; 02-02-2006 at 10:02 PM.

Any thoughts?