Thread: Denon avr 2807 with the Ascends

Default Denon avr 2807 with the Ascends

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Denon avr 2807 receiver with the Ascends. I'm looking at this receiver for my 'soon to be' 7.1 Ascend home theater setup and was just curious to know if anyone had thoughts on this particular unit.

Thanks in advance.

I have the AVR-885, which for all intents and purposes is the 2105, only with a silver finish. It powers my classic 170's, old B&W center channel, Axiom QS8's and a Rocket UFW-10 sub with no problem. Sound quality is very good and power is decent at a rated 90W x 7 full bandwidth, 125W @ 1khz, though my old Outlaw 1050 rated at 65W x 3 channels driven seemed to have more punch.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thanks for the response. One reason I'm looking at the Denon avr 2807 receiver is for all of the features. So it's good to hear that it has good sound quality and 'decent' power.

I was initially looking an Harmon Kardon receiver, since it has been said many times to match up well with the Ascends. I guess I'm just 'hoping' the same can be said with the latest Denon receivers.

Of course I'll need to find a way to have a listen and compare for myself.

I also am thinking about making the same move (upgrading from HK to a Denon). One thing swinging in Denon's favor is the HDMI inputs/outputs. If you're looking to stream audio via HDMI (i.e. for HD-DVD), you're going to want a AVR w/HDMI ins/outs, otherwise you have to use 6 analog cables. For me, I use the analog cables for SACD so I'm also in the market for moving to a Denon AVR. Although I love my HK, I haven't seen any recent media about them releasing an HDMI AVR in the immediate future.

Quote Originally Posted by stumacdo
    Although I love my HK, I haven't seen any recent media about them releasing an HDMI AVR in the immediate future.
    Errr...their 645 and 745 both have HDMI inputs with audio. Their 445 has HDMI, but only for switching, not audio. They might not be cheap, but they do have AVRs that do HDMI.

I've got a good 5 or 6 months until I put my entire home theater system together....I'm buying everything audio and visual at once, which feels great.

So I've continued to look and I have found a few others of interest. HK does have the AVR 645 that I'm interested in, and they do have HDMI switching. I have found this receiver for as low as $650 online......and that seems like a great value to me. But I'm still not convinced that I need an HDMI connection with my receiver, since it appears that the second generation Toshiba HD-DVD players will also play DVD-A, SACD I can just use the analog inputs to playback dvd and music.

With that in mind, I may go with an older receiver (with no HDMI) such as the Marantz SR-8500 (found it for $925 online) or the NAD T763 or T773 (found on ebay for $1000).

Without giving any of these a 'test run', I'm leaning towards HK AVR 645......but I'm also tempted by the Marantz SR-8500. Any thoughts out there on these receivers?

Default Correction to last post

I indicated that the second generation Toshiba HD-DVD players will play DVD-Audio and SACD. From everything I can tell , that is actually a false statement.

I had read something that appeared to be from a credible source that was discussing the fact that now that the HD-DVD has Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel (as opposed to just 2-channel) there is no reason to think that audio/music won't soon follow using this same format. I don't know too much about the ins and outs regarding the technical differences between DVD-audio and Dolby TrueHD, but it does seem like the TrueHD is the more pure, accurate technology. And since it will be penetrating the market of the masses fairly soon, it seems like a logical step for the market to take.

Just wanted to let anyone know that I decided that I had to have the NAD T773 at $1000. It was a few hundred more than what I was expecting to pay and about 5 months before I expected to buy anything.....but I couldn't pass it up.

I have the 2807--it powers my 340SE just fine, but I think HDMI is overrated, and I can't use hdmi with my TWC cablebox. I'm sure your choice will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mziegler
    I think HDMI is overrated, and I can't use hdmi with my TWC cablebox.
    I'm also inclined to think that HDMI is overrated. I agree that for mom & pop the idea of HD audio and video sharing the same cable is a nice idea, in practice I don't use it. For my upconverting LG DVD player, I use the HDMI for video and the digital coax for audio. (HK AVR-635 doesn't support DVI or HDMI anyway).

It's nice that HDMI and DVI are electrically compatible (for now). I use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect my HTPC to my display.

Don't get me started on HDCP on HDMI 1.3. The only thing it's good for is to confuse the consumer and limit the quality of the content displayed.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own