Thread: Should all the surrounds be the same ?

Default Should all the surrounds be the same ?

I am still trying to decide which speakers to get.. I am pretty sure i will end up with 3 340se's across front. my question is should the 4 surround speakers be the same as in all 200's or all 170se's ? originally I was thinking of 200's due to space and being flush mountable, now I have given some thought to get the 170se's for the side surrounds and the 200's for the surround backs.

Then I keep thinking for the price differance I should just get all 170se's for surrounds, the main problem is space, my room is not that big. but I am betting it would sound pretty cool.

anyone here with the 170 side and 200 rear arrangment to give some input ??

thanks

I went through the same thought process....

Ended up with B-Stock 170 Classics for all of the surrounds - James (at Ascend) advised that all of the Surrounds should match, although technically all of Ascend's speakers are timbre-matched.

The advice given to me was "if you primarily are interested in home-theater, then the 200s will sound great, but if you play a lot of multi-channel music, then the 170s will offer clearly better sound."

Unfortunately the speakers just arrived today(!) so I haven't listened to them yet. I'll let you know.

If you use three 340's across the front, you will be pleased even without anything in the back...

Anyway, the HTM-200 is an awesome speaker and will do the surround job nicely.

I had the opposite experience: I had 170 mains and later bought a pair 200 surrounds. So, I thought I didn't need to have bought the 170's for HT. I'm considering moving the 170 for the other stereo system and push the 200 for the HT mains.

thanks for the input guys I will prob end up with 170SE's for all surrounds. I think the 200's are prob a fine speaker with good quality but i dont want it to ever be lacking even if i crank the volume up for a while. I also like the idea of having basicly matching drivers all around.

I prob will get more into the high res music when I actually get things set up how i want. also want to be ready for demanding soundtracks for future stuff
    TrueHD and who knows what else the new higher capacity disks will bring ( if they ever come out already

all my speakers i have now have 8" woofers , fronts have dual 8's floorstanding towers. ( altec lansing, from when they actually made real speakers, hehe ) I simply dont have room for floorstanders the way the room will be set up. so if the ascends sound as good ( I'm hoping better ) as what i have now i will be happy.