Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 340 "classic" mains or 170SE's

Default 340 "classic" mains or 170SE's

I am thinking about changing my order from 170SE mains to 340 "classic" mains depending the price difference. I am thinking that since I have a decent size open family room to kitchen, the 340's may be able to fill it up better than the 170SE's can. I also have a 340SE center on order that I would probably change to a 340 center "classic" if I decide on getting the 340's across the fronts.
    I know the 170SE hit almost as low as the 340 "classic", but I thinking I will get more impact with the 340's in my room. Do you agree? Would I be losing anything forgoing the 170SE's in this situation? BTW, I already received my 200's that are doing surround duty and those sound great!

One more thing, I would have the left main mounted to a B-Tech BT-77 wall mount which will place the port roughly 4-5" from the wall, but where the port will face it open to the kitchen. The right main will sit on top of my sturdy component rack and the port will be about 8" away from the wall. I will set to "small" and cross at 80Hz

Thanx Gov

What is keeping you from going to 340SE's?
    -curtis

Nothing really, except a few more bucks I guess. My wife says I am spending to much already
    Curtis,
    What do you think about the 340 classic vs the 170SE in my situation?

I think in your situation, I would go with the 170SE. The mounting would definitely be easier.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I think in your situation, I would go with the 170SE. The mounting would definitely be easier.
    Thanks for your opinion!

When I ordered a week or so ago, they weren't selling classics anymore, although I guess it's possible they could get some returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Venri88
    When I ordered a week or so ago, they weren't selling classics anymore, although I guess it's possible they could get some returns.
    I suspect there'll be lots of 340 Classics available used pretty soon. Depends on the particulars of the trade-in program. I'll definitely have a center available and prossibly Mains as well.

David

In your situation, I'd go 170SEs + 340SE center. I've tried classic 170s and 340s as mains, and the 170s definitely don't suck. For me, mainly came down to aesthetics/mounting issues to stick with the 340 LCR & keeping the 170s as surrounds.

I did end up going with the 170SE's and the 340C SE. I got my shipping confirmation last evening and they are enroute with a delivery date of 2/6! I can't wait to hear the entire combination with the 200's

BTW, does anyone use the EQ on their receivers (i.e. MCACC) with their Ascends? Or do they sound better without? I have a Pioneer 1014 and the EQ does wonders for my JBL Northridge speakers

gov

Gov,

I have a Pioneer 1014 and the EQ worked well with my old Athena speakers. With the Ascends (340 fronts, 170 surrounds) I prefer to keep the EQ off....they sound great without it and it just seems to muddy their sound a bit. Of course, your room and ears may be quite different!