Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternate stands for 170's?

I like the ones Mag_neto linked to.

I was pondering the idea of building a pair of stands with built-in subs using the GR Research 12" and PR (these were designed for a smaller enclosure). Of course, I have too many sub ideas bouncing around in my head at the moment. Building a pair of GR powered stands would cost about as much as a new Hsu VTF-3 MkII. Hmmm....

i like these for the 170s.

Quote Originally Posted by metalaaron
    i like these for the 170s.
    I second that. Very nice stands at a good price.

A little more expensive, but these are my favorites for the CBMs. Check out Cliff L's photos in this post.

BTW, the description at Audio Discounter is incorrect - the SF-30 is 30" tall, as you might expect from the name. They're available with a black (SF-30B) or steel-colored (SF-30S) base, and the base is larger than most, which looks good and enhances stability.

to chime in a bit late, i purchased stands from a store I found on ebay (tho I didn't do it through ebay) and I like them quite a bit (http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-up-to-36-...QQcmdZViewItem)

They got high FAF (fiancee) approval because of the wood (I chose just a plain laquer, no stain). I'm not sure if they are better or worse than something with MDF but I like the style better than all-black. With the spikes in my carpet they are nice and stable.

the other good thing is that they are customizable so you can give an exact height, or get larger tops if you want. I just went with the regular sized tops and while my 170s overhang it still seems steady.

Oh very nice. Thanks for posting that. I'll definatey check those out for my 2ch setup.
    Jon O.

Those custom made stands from ebay are pretty nice. I picked up a pair for my front speakers (340's), and will probably get another pair when I can pickup some 170SE's for the surrounds. I just hope that 36" is tall enough. The only real problem with these is that since they are a relatively soft wood, they can get a bit loose.

Easily solved by tightening them up every once in awhile, or throwing some locktite in. With sorbothane at each corner on the base and between the top and the speaker, nothing is going anywhere. There is deffinitely some give, but my cat hasn't managed to knock anything down yet.