Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really need some help here

Default Really need some help here

First off let it be known that i am a newb to this HT stuff and i just currently bought my first setup (SvS 7.2xpb10's). I love it but im wondering if there is better for around the same price. They said i could return just the 5.0 setup for a $599 refund which i would use for 340's for mains and centers and was thinking of keeping the svs's for surrounds. Are the ascends really that much better? I know you guys obviously are ascend fans but has anyone heard both of them? I have heard these are in no means any comparision but im wondering how. As in loudness, clarity, and overall sound? Thanks for any help guys

Quote Originally Posted by turboedsupe
    First off let it be known that i am a newb to this HT stuff and i just currently bought my first setup (SvS 7.2xpb10's). I love it but im wondering if there is better for around the same price. They said i could return just the 5.0 setup for a $599 refund which i would use for 340's for mains and centers and was thinking of keeping the svs's for surrounds. Are the ascends really that much better? I know you guys obviously are ascend fans but has anyone heard both of them? I have heard these are in no means any comparision but im wondering how. As in loudness, clarity, and overall sound? Thanks for any help guys
    Check back in a couple days. I own a pair of the SBS-01s (really like them) and just opened my 170 SEs (woohooooo!) but can't listen til tomorrow. I should have a couple hours tomorrow to check the 170s out then next chance I get I'll post some initial comparisons and thoughts.

There will be a dramatic difference between the 340's and the SVS speakers. Just the efficiency difference is huge.

Going from the SVS fronts to the 340's would have the same affect as upgrading your amp from 100 watts to 400 watts. (To those that will freak out about that statement, do the math between power requirements of speakers when the efficiency difference is 6 Db.)

Add in the fact that the 340's have now been upgraded to the SE version and the comparison just gets downright unfair. Obviously, there is a big price difference so there should be a big sound difference. Also, as you go down the Ascend line the differences won't be as dramatic but if you are looking at 340's instead of the SVS speakers there should be a pretty dramatic difference.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

If you can afford the 340s across the front it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    If you can afford the 340s across the front it is worth it.
    Quinn just won the POTM* for January. That's if we exclude Dave F.

*Post of the month.

David

Alright einstein im really looking forward to that comparision. Any more info on how they differ will also help. Can anyone be more specific when you say there will be a big difference. Like are they clearer or just louder? I really wished someone in az had these things. I might as well just order them and see for my self i guess

Where are you at in AZ turbo? I'm still in Iraq right now, but I'll be heading back to Ft. Huachuca/Sierra Vista in a couple of months (woohoo!).

West Phoenix let me know when you get back if you want some auditioning

Turbo...any chance of getting you out to Los Angeles for some listening? I will provide food and beer.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I will provide food and beer.
    For how many weeks?

David