Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Ascend 170SE owner--thoughts on the Mirage Omni S12

The EQ in the ULW is an automatic single band parametric EQ. With the use of a microphone, it adjusts the frequency and bandwith for you to tame the biggest FR "hump" in your room.
    -curtis

It's the $600 (UFW) vs. the $400 (ULW) that gets me. If I go up to $600 I might as well go to $700 and get a new VTF-3 Mk2. $400 is just easier to swing. Of course I'd really like the UFW-12 but at $1200 and more than 100lb., that will have to wait for the future.

EBH,

As far as I am concerned as well as other owners of the S12 on AVS, this sub is great with music. Yes, it is better with HT stuff, but is very musical. I listen to a lot of smooth jazz stuff and I am VERY happy with this sub. I have only had it for a few days, but with what I have heard with it thus far, I'm thrilled for $400. This sub replaced a Velodyne CHT-10 that I have had for the last year and a half. This sub is much more musical, not to mention, louder and deeper than the CHT-10. Don't be afraid to seriously consider the S12. In one review it was compared to HSU's VTF-3 sub!!
    I just received my HTM-200's which replaces my Velodyne CT-41 as surrounds and now await a pair of 170SE's and a 340SE center to replace my JBL Northridge speakers. The 200's are awesome, and I am looking forward to the rest of the Ascends to come in and pair up with the Mirage S12. It will be sweet!!!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Gov; 01-27-2006 at 04:15 PM.

in the end i decided to go with a Rocket UFW-10. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend (even after they were kind enough to bring the price down $100) and it may not play as deep as I think I want it to go, but the EQ function and the comments about the sound quality of sealed subs sold me.

Can't wait for it to arrive and to set it up (along with the stands I'm waiting for) to finally get my 170SEs sounding their best.

Quote Originally Posted by ebh
    in the end i decided to go with a Rocket UFW-10. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend (even after they were kind enough to bring the price down $100) and it may not play as deep as I think I want it to go, but the EQ function and the comments about the sound quality of sealed subs sold me.

Can't wait for it to arrive and to set it up (along with the stands I'm waiting for) to finally get my 170SEs sounding their best.
    How'd it happen that they took $100 off?

Quote Originally Posted by Trench
    How'd it happen that they took $100 off?
    i'm not sure, maybe i got a nice salesman? really i was just asking them about the differences between the ulw and ufw. I knew there was a $100 off deal for the ulw on their website that brought it to $400 and asked if there was a similar deal for the ufw and they said they'd knock $100 off.

it's a great looking sub. I like the sound so far, though I'm concerned about how high i've got it turned up to be about 5dB hotter than my mains--around 3 o'clock. I haven't had a lot of luck with the parametric eq--my room is actually pretty flat except for an annoying null around 65 hz. i'm still considering ordering another sub just to get a better idea for the type of sound im looking for.

Hey I've been quoted! Cool!

ebh how do you like your UFW-10? I've never heard any of the Rocket subs or the Mirage so I can't comment on them other than to say I've seen a lot of positive comments about both of them.

Quinn, you da man but I have to say in this case, Gary was right. You did quote my comments out of context and misinterpreted my meaning (purely by accident I'm sure). Do not for a moment think that I meant the SVS PB10-ISD is less musical (to my ears) than the Hsu VTF-2 Mk2. While I must disclaim by saying I haven't tested both of them in the same exact room in the same exact position, I do have both in my house in different rooms and I love both of them for music. When I said I prefer the PB10 for HT, I meant simply that for HT use, between the two, the PB10 stomps the VTF-2 pure and simple due to much greater output and extension. I did not mean I prefer the PB10 for HT rather than music. PB10 sounds great on musical material.

Bottom line is they're both excellent subs and I bought and kept both of them because each of them was better suited to a different application for me personally. If I had to use the VTF-2 Mk2 for HT in my 14' x 12.5' x 8' room, or if I had to use the PB10-ISD for mixing in my little mixing room, either sub would be fine in either context. It's just a matter of the more appropriate tool for the job.

Gov if you're still reading, how are you enjoying your new Ascend setup? Forgive me if you've already posted about it elsewhere...

Here is a thread that I thought might be relavent...granted it is on the Hsu forum:
    http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2005
    -curtis

Too bad there is no comparison to the Mirage S12.

Interesting read Curtis, I think the latest issue of What Hi-Fi had a short pre-view of the PB-10 and it was similar to what this poster stated. I've yet to hear one myself.