Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ascend 170SE owner--thoughts on the Mirage Omni S12

Default New Ascend 170SE owner--thoughts on the Mirage Omni S12

Hi folks,

I just got my 170SEs--though I'm still waiting for stands to arrive so they are sitting on top of my tv stand right now.

What I want to do is find a sub to go with them. I'm looking pretty hard at the Mirage S12 because of its $400 shipped price tag and (hopefully) good performance with music (~60-70% of my listening) as well as relatively deep bass.

Anyone have experience with this sub?

Here is an attachment of a diagram of my room:

Ceilings are ~9 feet. Thanks for any help. I can't wait to put everything together and really listen to these speakers, though I am enjoying them quite a bit full-range right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I heard it this weekend. Good for HT not so great for music.

that is disappointing. thanks for your response though. what was it that didn't sound right?

It wasn't able to handle two quick bass notes in a row and smeared it into one longer note.

thanks for your input. i guess it will be back to the drawing board on what to get for a sub. any impressions on the SVS pb10 for music in comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by ebh
    thanks for your input. i guess it will be back to the drawing board on what to get for a sub. any impressions on the SVS pb10 for music in comparison?
    Haven't heard it but Hsu and Onix are going to be better than SVS if music sound quality is your top priority. If loud and low are your top concerns then SVS is a very good choice.

i must say, deciding on a sub is a lot more difficult than picking to go with Ascends.

Quote Originally Posted by ebh
    i must say, deciding on a sub is a lot more difficult than picking to go with Ascends.
    Well...it really is a matter of listening, the problem is it is more difficult to listen to the internet direct subs. Three years ago, I almost went with one sub, but just so happenned to communicate with two people that were very familiar with the subs and didn't seem to have a vested interest, advising me of the characteristics....so I went another route.

I can see for newcomers, it is very difficult to weed out the BS. Make every effort to listen to different subs. It is how they perform in your conditions....not the loudest and lowest.
    -curtis

Since I seem to be on a rant today....

It is also about finding opinions and companies you can trust. It can take a lot of research.
    -curtis

Since you asked, ebh, you might be interested in einsteinjb's assessment of the SVS PB10 in the following thread:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1548

Apparently not everyone agrees with the "conventional wisdom".
    Last edited by GaryB; 01-23-2006 at 03:20 PM.