Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBM-170s vs. Energy C-100s vs C-1s vs BA CR67

Default CBM-170s vs. Energy C-100s vs C-1s

I'm on the verge of getting some Ascends...only to discover that their width is several inches more than I have, unfortunately.

The other Contender was the Energy Connoisseur C-1s...but now the C-1s younger siblings, the C-100s, are also on the list (they're suprisingly low-priced, too!).

The size issue is something I seriously wasn't thinking of (thinking with my ears, not my eyes ), and so now I've got to look back at the offerings from Energy, due to their smaller footprints.

Also on the list is the Boston Acoustics CR-67s, a smaller-sized speaker with an apparently amazing sound ability, a little sleeper hit. From description alone (which is all I'm unfortunately privvy to) by my understanding they're better than the C-1s, even the C-3s!! Not sure about the C-100s, though.

If the Ascends prove to be superior enough to the Energy offerings (especially the SEs), then I'll go Ascend...if not, well, unfortunately my Desk wins this battle.

I'm about to drop a SERIOUS load of cash, here. Help me out guys?
    Last edited by KojiroTakenashi; 01-18-2006 at 10:16 PM. Reason: BAs no longer considered

Quote Originally Posted by KojiroTakenashi
    I'm on the verge of getting some Ascends...only to discover that their width is several inches more than I have, unfortunately.

The other Contender was the Energy Connoisseur C-1s...but now the C-1s younger siblings, the C-100s, are also on the list (they're suprisingly low-priced, too!).

The size issue is something I seriously wasn't thinking of (thinking with my ears, not my eyes ), and so now I've got to look back at the offerings from Energy, due to their smaller footprints.

Also on the list is the Boston Acoustics CR-67s, a smaller-sized speaker with an apparently amazing sound ability, a little sleeper hit. From description alone (which is all I'm unfortunately privvy to) by my understanding they're better than the C-1s, even the C-3s!! Not sure about the C-100s, though.

If the Ascends prove to be superior enough to the Energy offerings (especially the SEs), then I'll go Ascend...if not, well, unfortunately my Desk wins this battle.

I'm about to drop a SERIOUS load of cash, here. Help me out guys?
    Can't comment on the Energys, haven't heard them.

Umm I have to ask... whose description are you referring to regarding the BA CR67? I'd be SHOCKED if they were anywhere near as good as anything from Ascend. (Man I can't wait to get my 170 SEs early next week so I can discuss these things from experience!!) I've owned CR75s for a couple years and I really liked them, nice clear little speakers with lots of sparkle, but I found the new SVS SBS-01 bookshelf speakers to be a definite upgrade from them, and the 170s should be noticeably better than the SVSs. (Again, I'll be shocked if they're not.) The BAs are cool, but they're bright. I only ever liked them with either the treble turned down on the receiver or with the upper mids tamed with a 31 band graphic EQ. I really don't think they'd measure anywhere near as accurate as the Ascends, which are famed for their accuracy. The 67s will sound thinner and probably therefore brighter even than the 75s.

For something similar in size but probably quite a bit better in sound quality, why not check out the HTM-200s?

If you do go with the BAs, check the prices on Amazon. I WAY overpaid for mine at a B&M store a few years ago but the 75s are only about $180/pair now online. 67s will be less of course.

Bright speakers seem to be really popular with HTPC users if you check out a lot of PC-centric forums. Most be the noise of all those screaming delta fans that drowns out all the detail : P

CR-67s are a whole layer of technology above and beyond the old CR-*5 series. They're also the best in the current CR line...the drivers just integrate together that nicely.

IMHO, the only thing Ascend has on the SBS (SE's excepting, of course), is Sensitivity...although that's a big whopping difference. The SBS line has 85 dB sensitivity!!

I'm referring to the description of the community I belong to for the CR67s...unfortunately, the server has been down most of the month :\ They trump pretty much everything they've been auditioned against, with the exception of Lynns and Totems...Although the older Connoisseur series I hear was pretty much on par, very subtle differences.

IMHO, the only thing Ascend has on the SBS (SE's excepting, of course), is Sensitivity...although that's a big whopping difference. The SBS line has 85 dB sensitivity!!
    You are just looking at published numbers. Hearing them and looking at a full range of measurements IMO would lead to much different conclusions.
    -curtis

Are you saying the SBS are actually more sensitive than the published numbers show?

Are you saying the SBS are actually more sensitive than the published numbers show?
    I think he means you need to listen to them side by side to make a personaly analysis. This of course is something that's repeated a little too often, simply because subjective ideas get attacked so often in online communities the only thing you can say without retribution it seems is "listen to your ears" or some nonsense like that. While it is good literal advice, not everyone has the time or budget to attempt something like this, so they ask for advice. The problem is, most of the people who are responding to your question usually don't know either, since they don't have experience with the given equipment you've asked about. So sometimes online purchases is little more than self-confirmation (or the opposite) involving idle speculation, when you get products that seem very similar and don't have true expert advice available.

While this is true, I do feel measurements can give a good representation of how a speaker sounds.

While back in The Day, speakers matched a person's individual tastes...more and more speakers by different manufacturers have comparatively flat curves, everywhere.

Face it, a Flat speaker is a good speaker because it doesn't add or subtract very much from the original sound...this is the epitome of accuracy.

Now, the Ascends are by far the flattest, sensitive, AND highs-extending (for the SEs) speakers...even with the third-party measurements I've seen (they even looked to defeat the Veritas on neutrality!), but the question is...considering how low I can get the C-1s and the C-100s for...is it enough?

The older Connoisseur line was pretty flat already, and the new C series is supposed to improve on that even more. For $200 or less...the question is, does the difference in measured curves stack up to being enough of a difference in audible sound for the price AND the size constraints (I should probally use the money on a better desk! Only enough room for mouse and keyboard, CRT, Machine...).

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm sure as hell going to go to the Ascends eventually once more income comes in...hopefully this year. The question is, though, is it worth it RIGHT NOW? This is what I have to know...I honestly can't STAND these speakers of mine much longer (for the Record, Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones). It's a veritable crisis!

Face it, a Flat speaker is a good speaker because it doesn't add or subtract very much from the original sound...this is the epitome of accuracy.
    I have heard two versions of the CBM-170....the "normal" version that we all love, and another version where the owner allowed a well known DIY guy tweak the crossover. Both measured FLAT....yet the one with the changed crossover sounded VERY different.
    -curtis

Hey Kojiro, this is DVC-Jago from 3DSS-Forums. I just received my CBM-170SEs a couple days ago and they are awesome. My old 170s were great even though they had less bass. I measured them pretty flat to around 50-55hz in my room. These new SEs really suprised me. I have measured them quite flat down to 40hz. Not to mention the improved highs.

I have listened to the Boston CR67s and they really don't compare. I mean they may be realatively neutral, and while frequency response is important, it isn't everything. I also had the option of buying brand new Monitor Audio RS1s, $600 speakers with real wood finished for $240, but I chose CBM-170SEs instead. I really think these are better. Although I may buy those RS1s anyways just for fun.
    Last edited by MikeS; 01-18-2006 at 10:17 PM.