Thread: 170 Stands

Question 170 Stands

How tall of a stand should the 170s be placed on for 2 channel listening? Also any impressions on the Omni stands Ascend sells for the 170s?

When you are in your listening position, the optimum height of the stands should have the tweeters at ear level.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    When you are in your listening position, the optimum height of the stands should have the tweeters at ear level.
    I actually had the Omni 300s before I learned of Ascends (which I had been using for lighter computer satellites).

I think you need a power drill to set the stand (drill a hole into the the thing). Because there are no set heights holes for the adjustable pole to maintain its position. Someone tell me I'm doing it wrong, but the stands come with this tiny screw bit that ..has nothing to screw into. You can't just forcefully hold the stand in place by pinning the set base and adjustable pole with this bit, because that'll just scratch the paint off and slowly loosen over time. (And if you screw the pin tightly enough, it *might* hold a computer satellite, but try anything heavier, like a school textbook, and it collapses, taking the pin , adjustable pole, and about 5 ounces of black paint screaching with it.)

So I just grabbed a power drill and cut a hole through, put a nail in between, and voila! Same concept for most adjustable arm rests on leather chairs, just a little more crude.
    Last edited by Asliang; 01-22-2006 at 01:26 PM.