Thread: 170SE and 2-channel performance

Default 170SE and 2-channel performance

Hi all,

I'm just on the verge on plunking down an order for 2 170SE's, 1 340c and 2 200's for surround. The question I have is the performance of the 170SE's when functioning as 2-channels in an SACD setting. Reason being is that I've got a few SACD titles that aren't multi-channel and are in stereo. The current satellite speakers I have don't handle this well (obviously), and one of the many reasons I'm upgrading to the 170's is that they can handle a good chunk of the midrange/bass without relying on the sub. Could anyone who's tried the classic 170's in a 2-channel situation let me know how they've performed ? Thanks in advance.

I've been using 170 "Classics" for years as my 2-channel music machines. I have them teamed up with a Rocket UFW-10 and the system sounds sweet! If the recording is done well they will let the sound shine through. I sometimes have to check my center speaker to make sure it's off, the 170's disappear with the right material.

They are also the L/R mains for my 5.1 setup for movies and do an excellent job there as well. If the SE's are improved you will be very pleased with them.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thanks for the quick response. My only fear is that my current sub (Polk) does not allow for wiring, i.e. running from the AVR to the Sub to the Front Speakers. I just was concerned that in absence of the sub when playing 2-channel only using the 170s that I'd really be missing the lower end. I know that there's some loss by only using the 170's without a sub, but as long as it's dealable, I'm good to go. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by stumacdo
    Thanks for the quick response. My only fear is that my current sub (Polk) does not allow for wiring, i.e. running from the AVR to the Sub to the Front Speakers. I just was concerned that in absence of the sub when playing 2-channel only using the 170s that I'd really be missing the lower end. I know that there's some loss by only using the 170's without a sub, but as long as it's dealable, I'm good to go. Thanks again.
    You could play with running the 170SE as large for music and see how you like it. With room gain the bass likely gets into the 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    You could play with running the 170SE as large for music and see how you like it. With room gain the bass likely gets into the 40s.
    You'd be missing out the lower end only if you need lower end "boost". During soundtracks with deep bass you will "hear" the extension, you just won't hear the room shaking bass (or feel the ground shaking like a true sub would do).