Thread: Looking for some some help.

Default Looking for some some help.

Hi everyone, New to the site & first time thread. I'm looking to buy a speaker package to put in my great room. I'm totally draw a blank when it comes to picking the equipment. So i'm hoping someone out there can HELP. Size of room is 23'x13x8'. There is an opening on one side of of the room which is 15' leading into the dinette & kitchen. I have a 50' toshiba tv & a Onkyo receiver TX-SR600. I was hoping to us this receiver for awhile then upgrade down the road, if possible. After reading this forum i'm going with Ascend speakers. There product & support sound great. So if someone can point me in the right direction or build a package for me i'd greatly appreciate it. P.S. price wise i'd like to keep it under 2000.00. Thanx,Jefyam

The only speaker package I can comment on is the one I own. 340's across the front with 170's as surrounds. I decided to go with the 170's due to the fact that I like to listen to multi-channel music. If this is the case with you, go for the 170's. If the system is primarily for HT use and some two channel music listening through the 340 mains, then the HTM-200's are used by many here with great results. A 7.1 system with 340's and 170's would come in below your budget.
    - EVH III

It largely depends on 5.1 vs 7.1 and music listening vs movies (physical restrictions too). Assuming no size restrictions, you can't really go wrong with 3x CMT-340 across the front and a pair of CBM-170s in the rear with a VTF-3/STF-3 sub if you want 5.1. For 7.1, I would consider 3x CMT-340 in front, 4x HTM-200s in rear/surround and an STF-3 sub.

Default Reply

Thanx for getting back to me. I think i'm gonna go 5.1. Replying to it's use. We watch alot movies (dvd's), tv of such as sports, movies, & sitcom, a some music. Hope this helps. Get back to me. Thanx Jefyam

I think my first recommendation would be the best option: 3x CMT-340 across the front and a pair of CBM-170s in the rear with a VTF-3/STF-3 sub.

If you want to save a bit of money, your best bet would be 1x CMT-340 center and 4x CBM-170 for L/R/surrounds and VTF-3/STF-3 sub. I think, for your size room, that downgrading the mains would be better than downgrading the sub.

Keep in mid that the new SE versions are a little bit more expensive than the prices listed for the current versions (although not much).

Default Reply

Bradjudy, i appreciate your input. You've been a great help.

I'd also recommend calling Ascend and discussing it with them. They'll be very helpful.