Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Signature Edition owners thread

Thanks Bikeman, that thread was informative. I guess it doesn't hurt to try bi-wiring. One thing though, my receiver (Panasonic XR55) has separate binding posts in the back specifically for bi-wire, no problem there. But it also has a feature for "bi-amp." I wouldn't need to utilize this for bi-wire, correct? Just leave it exactly the way it is now, except with two pairs of wires going to the speakers instead of one?

Basically Dave made them bi-wireable because of all the audio geeks who believe in it and asked him for it. Dave is not a believer.

Received my 340 L/C/Rs today!

Of course (doesn't this seem to happen every time?) I'm heading out of town today and won't be back till Sunday.

However, I've had a very short time this morning to listen to them and compare them to my 340 Classics.

My verdict so far: I'm very happy. First off, they're very similar sounding, meaning you're still getting the same Ascend sound you're used to... it's not a completely different speaker with a completely different sound. This is to be expected, but still, reassuring for all of us who already loved our Ascends as they were.

Yet, I definitely like the SEs more so far. I had time to do one A/B comparison with the classics listening to Beck's "Sea Change". The SEs definitely have sweeter highs, and more highs, than the classics. As has already been described I believe by Curtis, the SEs sound more 'open'. It sounds like they're just hitting a greater range than the classics.

I've also been listening to a little Miles Davis, "In a Silent Way" (but not enough time to A/B), and I'm really enjoying the benefits I'm perceiving from the new tweeter.

I've been running them in stereo, crossed over at 60, and set to small. Haven't had time to try them full range, nor try them out in HT.

Anyway, hopefully I can offer more when I return Sunday. Just wanted to get some direct comarisons on SEs vs. Classics out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTomasulo
    As has already been described I believe by Curtis.....
    Glad I am getting some back up. Where do you live?.....we can have a party and "break them in" before you get back.
    -curtis

Default OT:Anyone send in their speakers for ...

Anyone send in their speakers for SE upgrade yet?

TIA,
    Khoi

Quote Originally Posted by khoi911

TIA,
    Khoi
    I'm still on the fence about whether I should send mine in for upgrade or not.

Default look here beefcake .. let me know when you do.

look here beefcake .. let me know when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by jermy4
    I'm still on the fence about whether I should send mine in for upgrade or not.

TIA,
    Khoi
    I'm on the list. The wait is kind of killing me because it is giving me the opportunity to second and triple guess my decision to upgrade. I am also being tempted to sell my SVS 25-31 PC+ and get something like a PB12–Plus/2 or dual PB010's. The guy at SVS assured me that two PB-10 would be an upgrade from my currrent sub in it's 20 Hz mode but I am having trouble believing it. I can't just add another SVS 25-31 PC+ because my wife has assured me that I do not want two cylinder subs in the living room. I know the PB12–Plus/2 would be a big upgrade but I really like the idea of dual subs up next to my 340's. I don't care what people say, I can tell that the bass is coming from the corner and not from the main speakers. Non-directional my rear end.

Well, this post was mostly off topic but at least I was talking about upgrades.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by dae3dae3
    I'm on the list. The wait is kind of killing me because it is giving me the opportunity to second and triple guess my decision to upgrade. I am also being tempted to sell my SVS 25-31 PC+ and get something like a PB12–Plus/2 or dual PB010's. The guy at SVS assured me that two PB-10 would be an upgrade from my currrent sub in it's 20 Hz mode but I am having trouble believing it. I can't just add another SVS 25-31 PC+ because my wife has assured me that I do not want two cylinder subs in the living room. I know the PB12–Plus/2 would be a big upgrade but I really like the idea of dual subs up next to my 340's. I don't care what people say, I can tell that the bass is coming from the corner and not from the main speakers. Non-directional my rear end.

Well, this post was mostly off topic but at least I was talking about upgrades.
    I know what you mean, since the bass is running up your leg from the floor, it's pretty obvious where its coming from, even if you can't hear it, you can feel it : P

TIA,Khoi
    I'm on the list and Dave F. said it would be at least six weeks. I may only upgrade my 340C and buy the 340SE mains outright. That way I can move my current 340's into my study and/or use them as surrounds if and when I get into MC music.

David