Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Signature Edition owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    I am also interested in the Panny XR55 but might wait until the XR57 is released to see what it has to offer. I guess we might be diverging from the topic of this thread, the 340SE's. BTW I notice a slight increase in SQ if the speaker grills are removed. Do you notice the same?
    OK, back on topic:

Yeah I think your experience with removing the grilles is pretty common for most speakers. Heck even my lousy Logitech z-2300 computer speakers sound much better w/o their clunky plastic & fabric covers!

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    I am also interested in the Panny XR55 but might wait until the XR57 is released to see what it has to offer. I guess we might be diverging from the topic of this thread, the 340SE's. BTW I notice a slight increase in SQ if the speaker grills are removed. Do you notice the same?
    I know that David measures the speakers with the grills off so that should tell you something

Default New 340ses

I received three identical 340ses on Monday, which I will use as my LCR speakers, with 340 classics as my l/r surrounds. They are being coupled with my SVS PB12+2. Initial listening tests were positive, but I have been breaking them in over the last couple of days, and will settle in with them this weekend for a serious listening session. I have the LCR speakers on stands vertically under my projection screen, and recently added some nice home theater recliners to complete my dedicated room. There is no longer any reason to go to the movies.
    340SE LCR
    340CMT surrounds
    SVS PB12+2
    PLV Z2 w/ Carada 102" screen
    HK230 and Parasound 855hca
    Buttkicker LFE
    Oppo DVD

Quote Originally Posted by fastnee
    I received three identical 340ses on Monday, which I will use as my LCR speakers, with 340 classics as my l/r surrounds. They are being coupled with my SVS PB12+2. Initial listening tests were positive, but I have been breaking them in over the last couple of days, and will settle in with them this weekend for a serious listening session. I have the LCR speakers on stands vertically under my projection screen, and recently added some nice home theater recliners to complete my dedicated room. There is no longer any reason to go to the movies.
    Geez...another FIVE 340's owner!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by fastnee
    If you could post what your opinion of the differences between the old and new models are I believe many people would be interested. Especially since you're probably in the minority of people who will have both types of 340's in the house at the same time. I know I would like to hear what you think since I am on the waiting list for a trade in and am trying to convince myself this is the best use of the money. I would hate to drop the coin to get just an incremental difference. I believe the best test would probably be listening to both types run as small and crossed over wherever is appropriate for your system and then of course run them both as large to see how big the difference in the bass performance of the new SE are. Since I am going to running them as small I am curious to hear if the bass is better even crossed over at 80 Hz. I am also hoping that the SE's are better on the highs because I do have a tendency to blast them when the wife isn't home and I have detected what I believe Dave was talking about when he said the 340's would start to smear the sound at high volumes. I have a big space so it isn't unheard of for me to get up near -0 Db on my Pioneer 1015.

I hate to sound like I am assigning homework but you could probably help out a lot of people. Anything you can contribute will be greatly appreciated.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by dae3dae3
    If you could post what your opinion of the differences between the old and new models are I believe many people would be interested...
    Yes, I would be one of those interested. Like Dae3 said, a comparison run large w/o sub and also one run small with sub would be fantastic. I also am curious to know what your opinion on what crossover point might be optimum with the SE's.

Randy

Could you also try placing the center speaker horizontally and let me know if there is any difference in the sound? I too have a projection screen, but it is too low to allow a vertical placement. Since I'm using a projection screen and a stand for the center, I don't think the EXBAC crossover in the 340c is necessary or even desirable in my situation, but I'm not sure. If you could just flip the center 340 SE on its side and let me know how it sounds, I'd very much appreciate it

Jon

Finally setup and listened to my 340SE's yesterday, and let's just say I had a hard time coming to work today, let alone sleeping last night!

One question though - from what I've been told, bi-wiring doesn't have any noticeable impact on sound quality or speaker performance. If this is the case, why do the 340s have that option built-in? Can you use the bi-wiring option to hook up the speakers to dual amps (hi-freq to one amp, low-freq to a 2nd)?

Going back to bi-wire and one amp/receiver, should I go that route or will it just be a waste of time? I don't want to spend time wiring it on and off and straining my ears and going nuts listening for the smallest difference if there isn't going to be any

Folks,
    I have read your requests and will do my best to conduct the tests you suggested. The speakers will have over 60 hours of break-in by tonight, so Ill do some things this weekend. Until later...
    Noel
    340SE LCR
    340CMT surrounds
    SVS PB12+2
    PLV Z2 w/ Carada 102" screen
    HK230 and Parasound 855hca
    Buttkicker LFE
    Oppo DVD

Quote Originally Posted by KPFury
    One question though - from what I've been told, bi-wiring doesn't have any noticeable impact on sound quality or speaker performance. If this is the case, why do the 340s have that option built-in? Can you use the bi-wiring option to hook up the speakers to dual amps (hi-freq to one amp, low-freq to a 2nd)?
    Going back to bi-wire and one amp/receiver, should I go that route or will it just be a waste of time? I don't want to spend time wiring it on and off and straining my ears and going nuts listening for the smallest difference if there isn't going to be any
    In my set-up it would be a waste of time. I'm over horse powered as it is so additional juice won't help.
    There are two posts from Dave F. on this page. It's a good read even if it dosen't answer your exact question.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...highlight=wire

David