Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Official Signature Edition owners thread

I strongly agree with your assessment of the 340cSE.
    It is quite an improvement over the 340c classic. Vocal rendering is much better. As I stated before, the upper mids and highs seem clearer... some have said 'more refined'.

The 3x340SE's across the front have been a great improvement. Moving the 340 classics to the rear has also helped in providing a greater 'envelopement'.

On occasion I would shut off the sub and listen to 2-ch stereo. I have not done that since I got these (late last week), but will this weekend since I'll have a little more time. I actually preferred this way to listen to certain recordings.

I'll also be checking various x-over settings. When I would listen to certain music in stereo (with sub, obviously) I would switch to 60hz, and found things to be a bit more delineated... with the 340 classics. I can only guess that there will be a further improvement in that with the new SE's. I actually may change the default setting to 60hz, since I now have 340's all around. We'll see.

Cheers!

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

Wow..I think the classic CMT-340c is a great center....can't wait to try the SE version.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by shane55
    I strongly agree with your assessment of the 340cSE.
    It is quite an improvement over the 340c classic. Vocal rendering is much better. As I stated before, the upper mids and highs seem clearer... some have said 'more refined'.
    Have you already done an AB of the classic vs. SE versions? I might've missed that somewhere...

How much extra bass and/or "warmth" do you hear from the SEs?

And what receiver are you using?

I'm quite happy with my 340 classics but can't help being curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Have you already done an AB of the classic vs. SE versions? I might've missed that somewhere...

How much extra bass and/or "warmth" do you hear from the SEs?

And what receiver are you using?

I'm quite happy with my 340 classics but can't help being curious...
    No Eddie... I haven't done a full AB yet. I may get to it this weekend. If I don't, it won't be for at least 2 more weeks (weekend plans! ).

As for extra warmth or bass, I can't quite make that assessment (yet), but I can say that they seem more 'open'. Now that's a bit of a loaded / subjective word, but to me it has to do with imaging. It seems (from listening to very familiar sources) that the instruments are more readily discernable and separated from the mass. This overall affect seems to improve the soundstage slightly. Vocals seem to pop out and this is particularly true with the 340c.

These are being powered by the Denon 3805. Source material is played on a Pio Elite DV-79avi and transferred via Toslink or 6-ch analog.

If you are happy with your 340 classics the upgrade alone may not yield ‘wow’ results. My situation is maybe a bit different as I moved my 340 classics to where my 170’s were (surround) and replaced them across the front with the SE’s. So it was more than just a speaker for speaker upgrade.

Hope that cleared things up a bit for you…

I plan to post a complete review / assessment sometime in the near future.

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

Count me in as a new SE owner. I got my 3x 340SE + 2x 170SE + VTF-3 Mk2 package last night, complete with tower stands for the fronts and Omni mounts for the rears (which I need to tighten tonight).

So far I am completely impressed.

Grayson,

I expect that it's mostly an expectation of a different sounding speaker. A lot of speakers have a bump in the mid-range and/or upper bass that many people find pleasing and trail off the highs a bit. There is nothing wrong with wanting that sound, but the Ascends are about a very balanced response.

While I haven't listened to the CDs you mentioned, they are solidly mainstream pop, which doesn't have a good reputation for quality recording. There are good quality CDs in every genre that would probably be better samples.

I would place the likelihood of receiver or source being the issue to be much farter down the list.

Give it some time, try some other music, see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Grayson,

I expect that it's mostly an expectation of a different sounding speaker. A lot of speakers have a bump in the mid-range and/or upper bass that many people find pleasing and trail off the highs a bit. There is nothing wrong with wanting that sound, but the Ascends are about a very balanced response.
    This is spot on. The accuracy of the Athena speakers leaves a lot to be desired. Give it time and you will really appreciate the neutral sound coming out of those Ascend speakers. They are clean/crisp where as the Athenas are bass heavy.

Also, try some more CDs. You are so used to your old speakers it's going to take some time for you to get acclamated to the Ascends.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Grayson,

While I haven't listened to the CDs you mentioned, they are solidly mainstream pop, which doesn't have a good reputation for quality recording. There are good quality CDs in every genre that would probably be better samples.

Give it some time, try some other music, see what you think.

I agree. Stuff like Norah Jones or Nada Surf, James Taylor, The Eagles, Bright Eyes, whatever floats your boat, stuff with real/acoustic instruments, smooth vocals, etc. will make it easy to judge the sound. If you don't have stuff like this, try Music Choice channels on Comcast or whatever audio channels you have on whatever cable service you have, jazz, standards (Sinatra, etc.), latin jazz, adult alternative, classical, etc.

Moved the discussion on CD vs Squeezebox....and Panny XR55 info to:
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1848
    -curtis

Default Just received my CMT SEs (L/C/R)

Just received these "Bad Boys" Wednesday and WOW!!! they are incredible. I sampled a couple of DVD-As (Elvis #1 Hits; Dave Koz; and & Eagles, Hotel California) and I noticed a difference in sound quality as compared to the CMT Classics. I can hear greater detail that I didn't notice as much with the Classics. Clearity and Soundstage are outstanding. Kudos to you Dave F., you managed to outperform yourself again...... I'm appreciative that you are working with your existing customer base to upgrade to SE configuration. This to me speaks volume to your integrity and to Ascend's outstanding customer service.

I'm going to send back my CBMs for SE upgrade so I'm looking forward to a complete "SE" setup. I don't really speak the "Audiophile" jargon but suffice it to say, I'm most impressed with the SEs and completely satisfied with my decision to upgrade from the Classics....
    Greetings from Central Florida!