Thread: Official Signature Edition owners thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Official Signature Edition owners thread

I have been asked to start this thread as a central location for owners/listeners to post there impressions of the speakers.

So post away!
    -curtis

Default Impressions 170 SE(part 3)

Let me start with a mathmatic formula: sub+170SE+good receiver+good audio source=incredibly good sound quality. It took some tweaking on my Onkyo 502 input configs(wasn't on the optical cable) and sub settings/levels. Also they've been running for about 24hrs straight. These things are imaging great, and they've filled out considerably.

Then I did and A/B with the old HTiB Onkyo 240s; fuggedaboutit. Oh yeah, my fears of directional sound quality were quelled as well. I can be anywhere in the room and they sound awesome although it must be noted there is a 'sweet spot'. More later, hopefully these posts have been of use to someone.

Mark
    Portland OR

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    For some reason the 340's sound better when playing the local PBS FM jazz station than they do when playing musical CD's on my inexpensive Panasonic DVD S31 ($65) player. Could it be the quality of my CD's or the player? Perhaps a dedicated CD player or higher quality DVD player should be my next audio investment? Suggestions are welcome. My AVR is a Pioneer VSX-D498 (80w/channel) that I purchased at Costco about 5 years ago; I might be due for an upgrade soon.
    Nice to hear that you're enjoying the SEs, I'd love to AB the 340SEs with the classic 340s since I own the second.

It's the DVD player, I can hear a clear difference between my Marantz cc4300 and my Panasonic cheapo DVD player for music, especially at higher volumes---the Panasonic breaks up and distorts like crazy above 85db. BTW you can get that Marantz from accessories4less.com for just under $150 shipped, I actually preferred it to the $500 NAD c542 in a side by side comparison at a local shop.

If you decide to change out the receiver, give the digital switching Panasonic sa-xr55 a try, it has a great bi-amping capability that will let you take advantage of the 340s' dual binding posts.