Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Well... I'm now an XR-55 owner...

Quote Originally Posted by Lou-the-dog
    The only other amp I have to compare to is my Denon 3803. For me the SP3 adds some smoothness and liquidity in the mids and highs. Some folks desire the microphonics that some tube amps are noted for but I do not hear that with the SP3. I do not run a sub with the SP3 (I do when using the 3803) so I am not able to compare apples to apples with the lows. I think lower extension of the SE's (I own Classics) will be a very nice match with the SP3 for a two channel system sans sub.

Randy
    I take it that you use the 3803 for HT and the tube for music. So far it seems like the Onix and the Jolindas are the main choices for quality budget tube amps. They are well known brands whereas, on Audiogon, there are other, more obscure or esoteric brands on which it might be hard to find opinions or reviews. I also would like to use a sub,The Jolinda hybrid integrated amps might be a good choice. This new hobby is rapidly becoming an obsession!

I still have some tweaks that might help out the Panny and I might as well try the DAC and hear what happens.

Thanks for your time,

Raja

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    I take it that you use the 3803 for HT and the tube for music.
    Yup, right now I simply swap between the SP3 and Denon depending on what mood I'm in. I could use the crossover in the VTF3/MkII to integrate the sub with the SP3 but that gets to be alot of cable swapping. Someday I'll have to try it.

Randy

Default Audioholics test results for the Panasonic sa-xr50

Has anyone tried the dual-amp function of the XR55? By dual amp, I mean sending twice the power to the mains via single binding post. If so, what difference in sound, if any, was there?

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    Has anyone tried the dual-amp function of the XR55? By dual amp, I mean sending twice the power to the mains via single binding post. If so, what difference in sound, if any, was there?
    No difference that I can tell. I'm only eight feet from the 340's so more juice isn't going to do anything for me. You'd need someone with a more demanding situation to get an answer.

David

Has anyone tried SACD/DVD-A through the analog inputs of any of the Panasonic digital receivers? I read that the analog inputs aren't good on these receivers and was wondering what your experience was with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    Has anyone tried SACD/DVD-A through the analog inputs of any of the Panasonic digital receivers? I read that the analog inputs aren't good on these receivers and was wondering what your experience was with this.
    I haven't used the multi-channel imputs but I have listened extensively to the analog imputs with two channel. I have done A/B tests with several friends using both coax and analog connections and no one has been able to detect a difference. I've written about this in the past but I'll be darned if I remember which Forum and thread I posted this on.
    I'd love to go the multi-channel route but finances just aren't there. I need fewer hobbies.

David

I'm actually listening to some SACD and DVD-A's on my XR55 right now (with a little help from by 3x340 and 2x170s). They sound great. In fact, I A/B-ed this receiver vs the HK 435 about 2 months ago and did not appreciate a significant difference between the analogs. And the digitals are just awesome, especially for the price point.

For CD listening, are you guys using RCA or digital (coax/toslink)? If RCA, why?

If digital, I would assume that the quality of the CD player doesn't matter since the same bits are being passed to the receiver.

Digital coax for me... Seemed like the best choice after an evening of surfing fro advice. The clarity of the 340SEs is so overpowering I cannot imagine that I'm losing much if any signal...