Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Well... I'm now an XR-55 owner...

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    If you find that music, beer and women are taking the fun out of anything, I begining to see why powercords are your thing. My sympathies.

David
    Ah, you are too clever for me!

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    If you find that music, beer and women are taking the fun out of anything, I begining to see why powercords are your thing. My sympathies.

David
    HeHe! Yes David, but perhaps Raja already is a drunken musician with scores of chicks hanging on him 24/7. I think he'd then be entitled to have a power cord fetish.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Lou-the-dog
    HeHe! Yes David, but perhaps Raja already is a drunken musician with scores of chicks hanging on him 24/7. I think he'd then be entitled to have a power cord fetish.

Randy
    Yes, I do have a power cord fetish and I like to tie those babes to the headboard. Do you think that David's fetish is his bicycle and the nice leather seat? BTW, I do not own an AC double cryoed, double Bybee Quantum Purifier power cord yet. Nor do I have the silver plated cryogenic treated AC outlet. Only in my dreams.

Regards,

Raja

Power cords..you got to be kidding me.

For all the miles and miles of power lines your juice is going through already as well as the wire in your house which depending on when it was built may be completely craptacular you really think the last few feet are going to make that big of difference? I would love to see someone who has done a blind A/B comparison with power cords who could actually tell a difference, but I doubt that is happening anytime soon.

OK I am done now.

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    Do you think that David's fetish is his bicycle and the nice leather seat?
    My wife would agree with this.

David

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    So for a solid state receiver the xr55 is a bargain but I'm really curious how the Ascends sound with a tube system.

Raja
    I have a 38 WPC Melody SP3 tube amp driving my 340 Classics. I'd definitely recomend giving a tube amp a try.

Randy

Dave G Guest

I have a 38 WPC Melody SP3 tube amp driving my 340 Classics. I'd definitely recomend giving a tube amp a try.
    Sounds nice! If you've tried other amps with your 340s, how would you compare them to the SP3?

Thanks.

Dave

Randy
    I'm considering the Onix SP-3 which, I believe, is the same amp. Right now I am running a Squeezebox 3>digital out>XR55 for a direct digital path. Due to my ignorance I recently bought a MHDT NOS DAC (the Constantine model) and , at the time, didn't realize that due to the Panny's digital design, a DAC was not needed and was just a redundant device that would clutter the digital path. Everything sounds great but there is still a little irritation to my ears especially in the upper registers. I still have to optimize my speaker placement and room acoustics which might help the sound quality but I'm now left with the feeling that tubes might be the answer for me because they handle distortion and/or digital jitter more smoothly. If I get a tube amp, I could use my DAC and the Squeezebox would serve as a preamp.

SB3>DAC>TUBE AMP>ASCEND 340SE.

Raja

The only other amp I have to compare to is my Denon 3803. For me the SP3 adds some smoothness and liquidity in the mids and highs. Some folks desire the microphonics that some tube amps are noted for but I do not hear that with the SP3. I do not run a sub with the SP3 (I do when using the 3803) so I am not able to compare apples to apples with the lows. I think lower extension of the SE's (I own Classics) will be a very nice match with the SP3 for a two channel system sans sub.

Randy

Dave G Guest

Thanks, Randy. I appreciate the feedback about your amp experiences.

Dave