Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Well... I'm now an XR-55 owner...

Talking

I just joined the XR55 club! I have been exploring the world of separates but that seemed to be a never ending project and $$$$, so for $230 I will soon have an all-in-one solution that has even won praise from hard core audiophiles. It will be interesting to compare my new toy with my Pioneer VSX D498 AVR which I bought at Costco 5 years ago.

Default mods to the XR55

Hey,
    Anyone have experience with moding the XR55, or upgrading the power cord. I have heard of peole doing things like this. Any personal experience with this reciever or any other one for that matter, particullary on upgrading the power cord?

Thanks

tilt

Quote Originally Posted by tilt
    Hey,
    Anyone have experience with moding the XR55, or upgrading the power cord. I have heard of peole doing things like this. Any personal experience with this reciever or any other one for that matter, particullary on upgrading the power cord?

Thanks

tilt
    Wayne at Bolder Cable does mods on Panny's, fairly pricey but might be useful to check his websight out for some ideas.

http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/...=MODIFICATIONS

Raja

Some people seem to think using a three-prone connector will improve the power draw compared to the standard 2-prone AC input. I personally don't understand how/if that works.

Quote Originally Posted by tilt
    Hey,

Thanks

tilt
    Here is a quick and cheap way to enable the Panny to accept IEC high performance power cords.
    http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/Ad...c7_to_c14.html

There is nothing wrong with the powercord that comes with the Panny. Buying a more expensive cord will not help the sound. Spend the money on music, beer and women. A much higher return on investment can be had.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    There is nothing wrong with the powercord that comes with the Panny. Buying a more expensive cord will not help the sound. Spend the money on music, beer and women. A much higher return on investment can be had.

David
    You're taking all the fun out of tweaking ones' system! Your subjective point of view might not be shared by all. I think that with a very revealing system there might be some audible change in SQ to be gained by exchanging the Panny's wimpy powercord for something substantially better especially when used in conjunction with other upgrades.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...squeezebox.htm

Raja
    Last edited by rajacat; 03-31-2006 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    You're taking all the fun out of tweaking ones' system!
    If you find that music, beer and women are taking the fun out of anything, I begining to see why powercords are your thing. My sympathies.

David

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    I just joined the XR55 club! I have been exploring the world of separates but that seemed to be a never ending project and $$$$, so for $230 I will soon have an all-in-one solution that has even won praise from hard core audiophiles. It will be interesting to compare my new toy with my Pioneer VSX D498 AVR which I bought at Costco 5 years ago.
    So how do you like the xr55? If you've posted a review I seem to have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    So how do you like the xr55? If you've posted a review I seem to have missed it.
    Sorry about the tardy review. Actually I have discussed my xr55 in another thread in a different context.

So far, I really like the Panny and it has met my expectations. The overall sound quality is immediately obvious when compared to my Pioneer VSX-D498. It has quit a bit more usable power because of the lower distortion which is especially noticeable at high SPL. Now I don't want to wax too poetical but it has an airy texture with excellent separation and depth to the soundstage and the noise free background results in the emergence of the music from the void with impact and clarity. The highs are extended into realms beyond the Pioneers capabilities.

On the bass side the differences were not so obvious, in fact the Pioneer might have the edge here. Of course, the Panny is not fully broken in yet so there might be some for improvement.

So for a solid state receiver the xr55 is a bargain but I'm really curious how the Ascends sound with a tube system.

Raja