Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Well... I'm now an XR-55 owner...

I brought unit in today to get checked out. I will let you know what they say.

tilt

Does setting the L/R speakers to Large disable the crossover in the Panny, even if you have a sub connected?

Quote Originally Posted by KPFury
    Does setting the L/R speakers to Large disable the crossover in the Panny, even if you have a sub connected?
    I'm not certain. I'll try to remember to check this out at home.

David

no you can have speakers as large and still use sub, that is how mine is set up right now

for the speakers i have (floorstanders) and the sub i have (substandard , hehe)
    it sounds better this way, I hope to be upgrading speakers to Ascends and sub to prob SVS something or other..

have fun

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I would discuss that capability with DaveF and how it pertains to the Ascends.
    I'd be very curious to hear what DaveF would think of the Panny if he ever has one to hook up to his Ascends. Then he could probably recommend the optimal bi-amp settings for the 340s (the High/Low Frequency balance, and the Phase Correction setting). Right now I have mine tilted about +3 towards the low frequency and I can't even remember what Phase Correction setting I chose...not sure how much of a difference I can even hear with the latter.

Maybe we Ascend/Panny owners can pool our funds and organize a Buy-Dave-A-Panny Fund?

Quote Originally Posted by KPFury
    I believe it does not. If you select "Subwoofer = Yes" and then set the speakers to "Large" you are, in effect, duplicating efforts. The Sub will take all of the low-end range of the signals (below the crossover setting, or "Filter" value in the Panny) and the speakers will get the full range.

Traditional thinking is to set the Speakers as "Small" so they can do a more efficient job, by dedicating their "efforts" to the signal range above the crossover setting, while the sub takes all the range below.

But if you have a low-end Sub, or just want to see what the Ascends can do, knock yourself out!

I found my Ascends lacking when set to "Small" with no Sub connected. Much more impressive when set to "Large" and absolutely stunning when set to "Small" and paired up with the Hsu STF-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jicbulk
    I found my Ascends lacking when set to "Small" with no Sub connected. Much more impressive when set to "Large" and absolutely stunning when set to "Small" and paired up with the Hsu STF-2.
    I can't think of ANY speaker that would sound good set to "small" with no sub.

I like my 340s at "large" for music with the sub off or turned low, and "small" with the sub turned up a bit for LFE-intensive movies if I go above 85db.

Sure wish the Panny's remote had a "small/large" switch!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I'd be very curious to hear what DaveF would think of the Panny if he ever has one to hook up to his Ascends... Maybe we Ascend/Panny owners can pool our funds and organize a Buy-Dave-A-Panny Fund?
    Heady combination, I agree and I'd be eager for Dave's feedback after listening to this combo.

I'm finding the overall sound excellent but the tweeter a bit bright for my liking. If Outlaw ever restocks the 2150 I'll consider a long-term loan-- I hope he likes silver...

Quote Originally Posted by Beuby
    I'm finding the overall sound excellent but the tweeter a bit bright for my liking.
    You could try using the analog connection for your CDP if you aren't using it already. Also many people report that the Panny somehow allows you to use the tone control to decrease treble without mucking up the sound as much as most receivers do with tone adjustments.

When your 340s come in, you can further "tame" any brightness by bi-amping and decreasing the amount of power being sent to the tweeter relative to the amount going to the woofers using the "High/Low Frequency Balance" setting.

I haven't heard any objectionable "brightness" from my 340s/xr55 combo except for classical horns.

Thanks Eddie- I'll have to look into that adjustment. I was listening to Steely Dan's Greatest Hits the other night and Donald Fagan's vocals were just, oh, bright and irritating. Poor recording maybe, but I always enjoyed that disc as a tester of sorts.

Oh, and this IS with the 340SEs. I'll have to look at the frequency adjustment function on the XR55, maybe something I fiddled with and didn't realize.