Thread: Well... I'm now an XR-55 owner...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Please HELP

I think my xr55 is broke. The A and B channel sound very different, A channel has no bass. I have discnnected my sub, and set all of the other speakers to "none" (including the sub) except for the 340s witch are set to large. when connected to B channel they have deep full sound and on A channel they are thin and empty. I then biwired them using the A and B channels but still no bass (and I did hook up properly). Somebody tell me I am right..........This reciever is defective.

Thanks for the help

PS Panasonic 800 number for me was completely worthless, I spent 10 minutes explaining what I meant by A channel and B channel. After 40 minutes he told me to get it checked it out, but he still did not understand my problem, so him saying check it out means nothing, but I think he accidiently got it right.

tilt

If you used the same speaker wire when you tested A & B, then it would be my guess that you have a defective unit. The only thing that might cause this other than a defective wire is the SFC mode is on in two channel. That can cause some strange sound.

David

I brought unit in today to get checked out. I will let you know what they say.

tilt

Does setting the L/R speakers to Large disable the crossover in the Panny, even if you have a sub connected?

Quote Originally Posted by KPFury
    Does setting the L/R speakers to Large disable the crossover in the Panny, even if you have a sub connected?
    I'm not certain. I'll try to remember to check this out at home.

David

no you can have speakers as large and still use sub, that is how mine is set up right now

for the speakers i have (floorstanders) and the sub i have (substandard , hehe)
    it sounds better this way, I hope to be upgrading speakers to Ascends and sub to prob SVS something or other..

have fun

Quote Originally Posted by KPFury
    I believe it does not. If you select "Subwoofer = Yes" and then set the speakers to "Large" you are, in effect, duplicating efforts. The Sub will take all of the low-end range of the signals (below the crossover setting, or "Filter" value in the Panny) and the speakers will get the full range.

Traditional thinking is to set the Speakers as "Small" so they can do a more efficient job, by dedicating their "efforts" to the signal range above the crossover setting, while the sub takes all the range below.

But if you have a low-end Sub, or just want to see what the Ascends can do, knock yourself out!

I found my Ascends lacking when set to "Small" with no Sub connected. Much more impressive when set to "Large" and absolutely stunning when set to "Small" and paired up with the Hsu STF-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jicbulk
    I found my Ascends lacking when set to "Small" with no Sub connected. Much more impressive when set to "Large" and absolutely stunning when set to "Small" and paired up with the Hsu STF-2.
    I can't think of ANY speaker that would sound good set to "small" with no sub.

I like my 340s at "large" for music with the sub off or turned low, and "small" with the sub turned up a bit for LFE-intensive movies if I go above 85db.

Sure wish the Panny's remote had a "small/large" switch!