Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Well... I'm now an XR-55 owner...

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    For CD listening, are you guys using RCA or digital (coax/toslink)? If RCA, why?
    I slightly prefer my Marantz 4300's DACs to the Panny's DACs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I slightly prefer my Marantz 4300's DACs to the Panny's DACs.
    I was reading that since the Panny is a digital receiver, it doesn't actually have a DAC and when you use the analog inputs, you're actually using the ADC of the Panny which supposedly isn't very good.

Therefore, it seems that to get the best sound quality out of the Panny, shouldn't the digital input always be used?

It has to have a DAC somewhere. The signal sent to the speakers is analog.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    It has to have a DAC somewhere. The signal sent to the speakers is analog.
    SiriuslyCold on AVS said:

It uses Texas Instruments TAS5076 (Six-Channel Digital Audio PWM Processor) and TAS5182 (Digital Amplifier Power Stage Controller)

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folde...nt/tas5076.html
    http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folde...nt/tas5182.html

The TAS5076 converts PCM audio input into PWM.

A true digital audio amplifier (TDAA) chip set consists of a TAS50xx PCM-PWM modulator and a number of TAS51xx PWM amplifiers as shown in Figure 1. At the center of this patented technology is the conversion of pulse-code modulated (PCM) to pulse-width modulated (PWM) signals. The audio signal is maintained in the digital domain right until the last filter before the speaker connection. No analog signal amplification is used, and the PWM signal powers the speakers directly through a passive low-pass filter. This allows the full digital signal chain to pass the high quality audio signal directly to the speaker, without distortion from analog amplification.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    SiriuslyCold on AVS said:
    The audio signal is maintained in the digital domain right until the last filter before the speaker connection.
    To be honest I have never gotten the technical gobbledygook straight, i.e. PCM vs. PWM vs. PMS!!!

And what "last filter" is this anyway???

All I can offer is that I've compared the same CD played back on my cheapo Panasonic DVD player with a coax connection to my xr55, vs. it played back on my Marantz CDP on an analog connection, and it was not even close --- I much much preferred the Marantz on analog.

Eddie... I'm slightly confused--- two different CD players but both with coax connections and the same source???

Quote Originally Posted by Beuby
    Eddie... I'm slightly confused--- two different CD players but both with coax connections and the same source???
    The Marantz I have on both a coax and an analog connection to the xr55, the Panasonic DVD-P I have on a coax only.

"Same source" = same CD played on each player but with the xr55 reading the analog input for the Marantz. Slight 5-10 second delay when taking the CD from one player to the other of course.

Now that the XR-55 is back in stock at Amazon & JR.com, I was considering getting one to replace my current basic 5.1 DD/DTS receiver (5-yr old Pioneer VSX-409). I'm running a 340c, and 170s all around right now. Would I see a noticeable improvement with the digital amp?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff_L
    Now that the XR-55 is back in stock at Amazon & JR.com, I was considering getting one to replace my current basic 5.1 DD/DTS receiver (5-yr old Pioneer VSX-409). I'm running a 340c, and 170s all around right now. Would I see a noticeable improvement with the digital amp?
    Absolutely, yes. You'll notice a huge difference in clarity/detail and lack of distortion, I'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Absolutely, yes. You'll notice a huge difference in clarity/detail and lack of distortion, I'd think.
    Well, maybe not absolutely but I would encourage you to get the 55. After running the 55 for six weeks, I went back to my previous receiver (Kenwood 6060) to see if the difference I'd noticed was still there. It was. I liked the Kenwood and a friend is still using it in his home theatre. I just like the detail of the Panny better. Not as many bells and whistles on the Panny but I can live with that.

David