Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice with selecting speakers for first timer

Checkers,

You are going to have a very nice room. Much more ideal dimension-wise than mine. To give you something to think about when building your cabinet, for a 12-14' seating distance from your speakers you will probably want between 8-10' separation between speakers.

As Curtis said, the sub in an enclosure would not be a good idea.

Randy

Curtis,
    Where would you suggest I put the subwoofer? As I said it would be inside the cabinet on the floor. Bascially, I would have a false door at the bottom of my cabinet that would house the subwoofer. Isin't that where I should put a subwoofer? As for 'talk to the experts', thats why I am here trying to get as much helpful advice as possible....

Thanks again

That's a loaded question. Put where it sounds best. My sub is in the front left corner. Every room is different.

Seriously, I think when placed in a cabinet, the cabinet would resonate a lot!

The "experts" would be Ascend and Hsu.
    -curtis

The Hsu setup guide has in-cabinet placement recommendations, mainly stating to give it couple inches clearance and to expect lots of rattling/shaking. IMO, you're really limiting your chances of getting the best possible sound out of the sub by placing it in-cabinet. In my room, sub placement made a noticeable difference in sound quality.

OK, thank you both for the feedback. I'll have to figure out something different then for my subwooofer. Maybe bring the cabinet in 2 feet on either side so I can place the subwoofer in the corner next to the unit...assuming the HSU is about 2' in width.

Looks like what I am going to go with based on all your helpful advice is the following:

CBM-170SE for my 2 front speakers (place as far apart as possible on bookshelves within TV unit)

HTM-200s for the 2 rear speakers (wall mounted about 3 feet behind my couch)

CMT-340SE for my front center speaker (placed again on shelf above TV)

HSU-STF-2 subwoofer (placed on floor next to TV cabinet)

Now its time to give the wife the total bill

Quote Originally Posted by Checkers
    OK, thank you both for the feedback. I'll have to figure out something different then for my subwooofer. Maybe bring the cabinet in 2 feet on either side so I can place the subwoofer in the corner next to the unit...assuming the HSU is about 2' in width.
    I thought the same thing when I first got a sub. It turned out not to be the best location. When you get a sub, it's very helpful to experiment with location (if possible). You can always EQ a sub and hope for the best in a particular location but it's better (sometimes much better) to find the optimal location and go from there.
    I think you're on your way to audio nirvana with just a few tweaks.

David

Subwoofer placement is a tough issue. It is very tough to call where the ideal placement will be in your room. Go to the Hsu site and there is a place where you can plot out your room and submit for a placement recomendation. Even consider calling Hsu and you can do this over the phone too. There is a good chance that you will speak to Dr. Hsu himself. This will be a good starting point and might aid you in decisions on your cabinet design.

Randy