Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone w/ Axiom M22 experience here?

Default Anyone w/ Axiom M22 experience here?

I am not into brand bashing and as a newb, I don't want to give that impression . . .

Anyway, I really like the way my Axiom M22Ti's sound but after an hour of moderate music listening (HK AVR240 at -15 to -20db), my right ear is often sore. I know music can't cause an ear infection, and true enough I have been fighting an on and off infection since November when my M22's showed up, but something is amiss I am sure. Tuesday and Wednesday night I switched out my M22's in favor of my old Atlantic Technology system 250.1 front speakers, .75" tweeters and two 4" woofers. They are made from poly-whatever-its-called. I listened to the same CD's at the same levels and though I had a slight ringing (like I got in 1992 at the Motley Crue Dr. Feelgood tour), there was no pain so to speak.

So I am wondering if that ear, which has given me trouble my whole life, is extra sensitive and for whatever reason, a metal tweeter may be too bright/harsh/accurate for me to take. So to make a long story longer, I have heard good things about Ascend speakers and I can see they too have poly-whatever tweeters. I am real tempted to order their $500 or so front speakers and give them the once over. If I don't suffer the same discomfort, I'll sell the Axioms. If so, I'll return the Ascends, sell the Axioms and go back to my AT's.

If anyone here has ever heard M22's and/or moved to or from Ascends, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Greg

Yes..I have compared the M22 to the CBM-170.

Without getting into characteristics which may be taken in negative context.....I highly suggest you listen the CBM-170SE.
    -curtis

I can afford the CMT-340's and would prefer to go that route. There is a pretty big price difference but if the 170's would work, then I can't see wasting money.

Greg

How big is your room?

The 340's can be compared to the M60's IMO.
    -curtis

My room is fairly small, but that may change soon. 10' by 18' with 7.5' ceilings. The back of the room opens up to the kitchen.

I am doing more research on the Ascends and all is very positive.

Greg

I at first had the Axiom 22's and then bought the 170's.
    The 22's reside in my wifes 2 channel setup, the 170's in mine.
    I liked the clarity of the 22's, but was not able to listen more than an hour or so.

Give the Ascends a shot, you'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by macebanyon
    I at first had the Axiom 22's and then bought the 170's.
    The 22's reside in my wifes 2 channel setup, the 170's in mine.
    I liked the clarity of the 22's, but was not able to listen more than an hour or so.

Give the Ascends a shot, you'll be happy.
    So maybe it isn't my imagination after all? I swapped out my Axiom's for my older AT center and front speakers. I'll listen to them for a full week and see if I have any discomfort. Then I'll go back to the Axiom M22's. If I can't listen to them as loud and as long as the AT's I'll order a pair of 340's and see if my ears like them better. If so, I guess I'll sell my Axioms, even though I love how they sound.

Thanks for the feedback.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GregMatty
    So maybe it isn't my imagination after all? I swapped out my Axiom's for my older AT center and front speakers. I'll listen to them for a full week and see if I have any discomfort. Then I'll go back to the Axiom M22's. If I can't listen to them as loud and as long as the AT's I'll order a pair of 340's and see if my ears like them better. If so, I guess I'll sell my Axioms, even though I love how they sound.

Thanks for the feedback.

Greg
    Some people definitely have trouble with the brightness of metal. The Axioms look very neutral on measurements, so whatever it is, it's not showing on the FR graph. Ascends are also neutral this way, but with driver material that is often considered "smoother." I've heard the Axioms you have and the new Ascends, and both (being neutral) so if the recording is bright, it will sound bright, nothing is going to change that.

On higher volumes, the Axioms did start sounding a little harsh, to be more precise, instruments that are naturally harsh are more pronounced, such as dampered piano (when they hold the pedal down to sustain notes) but to be honest, at those volume levels I'm not particularly comfortable listening to the 170SEs either (as most of my material would qualify as being very bright; a lot of piano, female vocals, cymbals, etc).

I've heard your argument before about the Axioms, so some people must be more sensitive to others to HF ringing. (I do know that a lot of high frequency energy can be painful...playing 20+KHz tones on Audacity make my ear hurt, even though I can't hear anything).

At normal listening levels I felt both speakers were very detailed, and even over long amounts of time with a lot of bright material I *personally* didn't experience any detriment, but the extension of the Ascends and the wider dispersion I feel make it a superior speaker..and it's still cheaper than Axiom. No fancy vortex port or wood viynl finish though. I think both companies make great products, Ascend a more on the acoustic side, Axiom more on the design/finish side (for the price).
    Last edited by Asliang; 01-20-2006 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GregMatty
    So I am wondering if that ear, which has given me trouble my whole life, is extra sensitive and for whatever reason, a metal tweeter may be too bright/harsh/accurate for me to take.
    There's a guy over at AVS that says exactly the same thing about Axioms. He has a 'bad' ear too and the speakers make it ache after a while. I didn't give his story to much credence inititally because he's a salesman that sells speakers other than Axioms. But maybe he's not full of crap after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Asliang
    At normal listening levels I felt both speakers were very detailed, and even over long amounts of time with a lot of bright material I *personally* didn't experience any detriment, but the extension of the Ascends and the wider dispersion I feel make it a superior speaker..and it's still cheaper than Axiom. No fancy vortex port or wood viynl finish though. I think both companies make great products, Ascend a more on the acoustic side, Axiom more on the design/finish side (for the price).
    When you say cheaper you must mean the 170's? I am looking at the 340's. They are $100 more than M22's but I want listening comfort and will pay an extra $100 to get it. My only concern is the lack of a mid-range driver. I am sure this combo of tweeter and 6.5" woofer is just fine without needing an intermediate 4" or 5.25". Is that correct?

Three days straight on my AT's and no discomfort. I'll go back to the Axiom's Friday and see how my ear holds up.

Greg