Thread: Lots of questions...

Default Lots of questions...

I'm leaning very heavily on purchasing the new 340SE's for my home theater. I have a few questions that I wasnted to ask though.

First, my TV is a Panny Plasma 42" (the pro HD model) it is wall mounted above a piece of furniture that is my electronics cabinet (fancier looking for my Wife). The top surface of the cabinet is at about ear level. I was thinking that the center channel would just sit on this cabinet, but I woder whether this would pose any problems? It would, preferably, sit back, leaving about 10" of the cabinet surface in front of this. I suppose I could move it out fluch with the edge for movie viewing?
    Next, I can't buy all my speakers at once (new house payments etc). Would I be better off buying the two mains and a sub, or two mains and a center? By Dave's description I might get away without the sub for a while. I do want to listen to 2 channel music as well.
    The surrounds I will purchase later (I am pretty sure I am going to go with the Axiom Q8S because I need 5.1 and can't put a direct firing surround in due to my room arrangement).
    Oh, one last thing, I guess I just call to make my purchase since I don't see a way to order the SE's on the internet?
    Allright, Thanks everyone for the help and a great forum/community.
    -doc.

Buy the front three first. Since the SE's will play lower you should be okay for music without a sub. Like you said, just pull the center speaker out flush with the cabinet for movie listening.

I would call to order the SE's just to be sure that is what you will get.

I have QS-8's with my 170's and they do a fantastic job!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Let me at least try to answer some of your questions.

The center channel should be fine on top of the cabinet, but you want to allow space behind the speaker since it is ported. The amount of space varies from room to room....in my room I current have about 16" behind the center channel.

When on the cabinet, it is best to have the front of the at least flush with the front of the cabinet for the best sound. Leaving 10" of flat surface in front of the speaker would cause unwanted reflections and muddy up the sound.

Purchase the center or the sub now? The center channel carries 80-90% of sound from a movie, so it is very important, and depending on the type of movies you watch, the sub adds a lot of effects. I would purchase a pair of 340SE's for the mains, and configure the AVR to use a phantom center to see how you like it. If that works out, then go for the sub, if not, get the center.

edit: I see Mag beat me! But I beat bikeman!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by doc5
    First, my TV is a Panny Plasma 42" (the pro HD model) it is wall mounted above a piece of furniture that is my electronics cabinet (fancier looking for my Wife). The top surface of the cabinet is at about ear level. I was thinking that the center channel would just sit on this cabinet, but I woder whether this would pose any problems? It would, preferably, sit back, leaving about 10" of the cabinet surface in front of this. I suppose I could move it out fluch with the edge for movie viewing?
    That's an excellent solution. I have to physically move my 340C about 10 feet every time I watch a movie. 10" would be a cake walk.
    Next, I can't buy all my speakers at once (new house payments etc). Would I be better off buying the two mains and a sub, or two mains and a center? By Dave's description I might get away without the sub for a while. I do want to listen to 2 channel music as well.
    For movies, I'd want the sub over the center initially. It depends on the type of movies you prefer. Chick flicks don't generally require a sub. Guy movies generally do. The 340's image so well that they can produce a phantom center. I don't use the center at all for most music. It's a judgement call. There's no right or wrong answer for everyone.
    Oh, one last thing, I guess I just call to make my purchase since I don't see a way to order the SE's on the internet?
    Allright, Thanks everyone for the help and a great forum/community.
    -doc.
    Yep. Calling is almost always the best way to contact Ascend. E-mail works for me if I'm not in a hurry.

David

As far as the sub vs the center. That is a tough one. I ran my 340's sans sub for a couple of months as I was waiting for the Hsu VTF-3 MKII to hit the market. I had a ball as the Classics went pretty deep by themselves. When I added the sub tho everything just went to the next dimension (mostly for movies). The SE's will hit lower so, as of now, it is a tough call. I tend to agree with Curtis. Try a phantom center and try to make a judgement call of what might be lacking for you.

Definitely keep that center as least flush with the face of your cabinet.

Randy

Thanks for the insight guys, I think I'm gonna try the phantom thing. Perhaps call to place my order tonight. What would you think for a sub if I go that way. Room is roughly 17.5x14.5 with 10 foot ceilings. sort of an odd shape. I posted a link to the drawing below if it matters. I was thinking SVS PB10-ISD or HSU-VTF2 mk2. Are there others I should consider? When I decide to get the sub I am going to want something that will be musical in addition to hitting hard for movie effects.
    thanks, doc
    ooops forgot the link http://userweb.suscom.net/~doc5md/untitled.JPG
    Last edited by doc5; 01-11-2006 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added link for drawing.

[QUOTE=doc5] I was thinking SVS PB10-ISD or HSU-VTF2 mk2. Are there others I should consider? When I decide to get the sub I am going to want something that will be musical in addition to hitting hard for movie effects. [QUOTE]

Two good choices. Buy all the sub you can afford. I'm from the sub school that says, too much is just enough. I've just installed a friend's small home theatre with a Hsu STF-1. If that's their entry level, I can't wait to hear their bigger brothers.

David

I was thinking SVS PB10-ISD or HSU-VTF2 mk2. Are there others I should consider? When I decide to get the sub I am going to want something that will be musical in addition to hitting hard for movie effects.
    thanks, doc
    ooops forgot the link http://userweb.suscom.net/~doc5md/untitled.JPG
    Yup, two good choices. FWIW, the Hsu's have great reputation for being musical...but I have not heard the SVS myself. My room is about 14X16 and have a HSU VTF3 MKII. It's cool to watch the pictures vibrate on the walls during heavy bass movie scenes. As bikey said, get as much sub as you can afford.

Randy

Just got off the phone with Dave F. Super nice guy. Really nice to call a company and get a real person. He was busy and took my information, called me back promptly in the 10-15 minutes he thought it would take. Discussed my situation and took my order for my 340SE mains Fantastic!
    Now I just have to figure out what to do with myself until the goods arrive.
    Thanks all and thank you Dave.
    doc