Thread: Panasonic SA XR-70?

Default Panasonic SA XR-70?

I'm curious why I've seen the majority of discussions on this forum and others centered around the SA-XR55. Is this model merely a better value?

I think the XR-70 is a previous model.

Quote Originally Posted by Beuby
    I'm curious why I've seen the majority of discussions on this forum and others centered around the SA-XR55. Is this model merely a better value?
    The two models address different interests. The 70 has an HDMI imput. The 55 is the latest and greatest of the Panasonic audio offerings. The 55 will be replaced but the 57 later this year and incorporate more advanced video features. The 70 will be replaced by the 75 but it's still vaporware at this point.

David

Of course, I'd love to know what the 75 is going to do to "one-up" the 57. Perhaps just more connectivity? I haven't heard anything about increased power levels, if its possible with the current revision of chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Asliang
    Of course, I'd love to know what the 75 is going to do to "one-up" the 57. Perhaps just more connectivity? I haven't heard anything about increased power levels, if its possible with the current revision of chips.
    I don't expect the 75 will address any audio concerns that aren't already addressed in the 55/57. I'm betting the 75 will be all about video and Panasonic's desire to integrate it's televisions, HD-DVD players and receivers. I'm holding off on upgrading any video components for awhile. Things are gonna get real interesting (and much cheaper I believe) by this time next year.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    I'm holding off on upgrading any video components for awhile. Things are gonna get real interesting (and much cheaper I believe) by this time next year.
    Could you expand on what you're predicting, and also what you're basing your predictions on?

I've been drooling over the 42" professional Panasonic EDTV plasmas that have dropped to about $1600 shipped online, can't imagine how much lower they can drop in say a year's time...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I've been drooling over the 42" professional Panasonic EDTV plasmas that have dropped to about $1600 shipped online, can't imagine how much lower they can drop in say a year's time...
    With the introduction of 1080p, I can't see EDTV holding it's value much longer. I'm much more audio focused than video so my thoughts on video are even less valuable than my ramblings on audio. If I saw a TV set that I liked and the price was affordable, I'd buy it. Right now isn't the time for me when it comes to video but that dosen't imply it isn't the time for someone else.
    "Next year" will always be better. As a side note, the Federal Reserve is currently very concerned about inflation pressures. If they're right, prices may not come down much if at all over the short term.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    With the introduction of 1080p, I can't see EDTV holding it's value much longer. I'm much more audio focused than video so my thoughts on video are even less valuable than my ramblings on audio. If I saw a TV set that I liked and the price was affordable, I'd buy it. Right now isn't the time for me when it comes to video but that dosen't imply it isn't the time for someone else.
    "Next year" will always be better. As a side note, the Federal Reserve is currently very concerned about inflation pressures. If they're right, prices may not come down much if at all over the short term.

David
    I'm interested in EDTV since I practically never watch TV so my use would be 95% DVD viewing which as I understand it would have an identical picture in HDTV vs. EDTV. It's getting harder and harder to find EDTV sets though.