Thread: Ascend Car Speakers?

Default Ascend Car Speakers?

Most of the Car Audio offerings I've heard have been...underwhelming. Any plans to make Car Speakers?

We've asked before and have been denied!

Let me suggest CDT Audio.
    -curtis

Ascend builds cabinets, crossovers, and matches components. Why not just go to the source, and get some Audax drivers?

You entirely sure about that, there? By my understanding the Ascend drivers are supposed to be unique...

Quote Originally Posted by KojiroTakenashi
    You entirely sure about that, there? By my understanding the Ascend drivers are supposed to be unique...
    Sure, they are custom for the cabinets and cross over frequencys, I can buy that. But I wouldn't say they are any better or any worse than the other Audax products, just that they have been tweaked for use in the 340 and the 170. That being said, I have heard some very good car speakers. In fact, I ran some MB Quart QSD series in custom cabinets at home for a while. Very nice.

I dunno guys...automobile sound systems are a whole nuther animal. If Davef were to design a speaker for use in an automobile he may opt for an entirely different driver/brand than is currently used in our Ascends. I suspect the challenging acoustic environment of an automobile would require a whole different approach than home audio. What I'm trying to say is that simply buying an Aerogel/Audax driver and inserting it in a cabinet won't necessarily give you near the quality of sound that a true Davef designed-for-auto system would.

Randy

And it is not Aerogel any more, now Polygel, something I believe that DaveF has helped developed in conjunction with the driver supplier/manufacturer...and I do not think it is Audax anymore(not sure).

The tweeters in the SE models are now made by Seas.
    -curtis

I've heard Dynaudio makes nice car speakers. If they're anything like their pro audio stuff it should rock.

Personally I use Oz Matrix separates in (you're gonna laugh here but I'm serious) my minivan, matched with two JL Audio 8" subs. One sub is in a nice 1/2 cylinder type cabinet (I don't think they make that box anymore) and the other is in a small custom box, and the system ROCKS. The Oz Matrix tweeter (and mid too for that matter) is truly sweet. If my new CBM-170 SEs sound as good in my home as my Oz Matrix sound in my car, I'll be thrilled.