Thread: Tune HSU VTF-2 for music listening

Default Tune HSU VTF-2 for music listening

Hi

I have 340 for center, left right, 170 for surround, and HSU VTF-2 sub. It's great of home theatre, but I also listen to alot of music. I noticed the sub is too booming for music listening, and not crispy enough. For example, when i listen to titanic soundtrack, and bare naked ladies maroon DVD audio, some of the tracks have very deep base in them. I've tried to tune the sub in every way i know, the base still sounds a little boomy, and lasts just a little big longer than what I have liked. I think the sub is probably made for HT, not really for music.

I am wondering if anyone here has the same setup and finds this to be a problem. How do you tune your sub to get the best base response for music listening?

Does anyone know a good sub for music listening?

thanks

Hsu subs, especially the VTF series, are FANTASTIC subs for music. Their frequency response is very flat, sound quality is outstanding, etc. But no matter how good your gear is, positioning and calibration are critical to get proper system integration, flat frequency response, and seemless blending between sub, mains, surrounds, etc. Search this forum, you'll find a lot of helpful info on calibration and positioning. Your sub is probably not properly positioned in your room. I can't overstress how important this is.

Get yourself the Avia setup DVD (or something similar) and a Rat Shack analog SPL meter and use them to position your sub and calibrate your system. I'm sure you'll be shocked at the difference it makes.

Oh and while you're at it you might want to call Hsu (or Ascend) and ask for advice to properly position your sub in your room. You'll find either company to be very helpful. You might even get Dr. Hsu himself on the phone to help you figure it out.

Dear joshua,

Please fill out the support form located here on our website: http://www.hsuresearch.com/support/index.php?id=36

We will assist you with placement and setup of the subwoofer.

Sincerely,
    Peter Marcks
    Hsu Research

Peter, thanks for the reply. I have a denon 3805 receiver, and have spent a lot of time calibrating it. I've tried moving the sub to different locations in the room, set different crossover frequency, and changed the speakers to small, or large, and all didn't seem to help. I also have followed the tuning instruction from the sub manual, the sound still lasts a little bit too long.

The sub has two inputs, LFE, and right channel, currently i only have the LFE connected. Do I need to connect the right channel? If yes, how do I do that?

thanks

Do you have a VTF-2 or a VTF-2MK2?

Anyways, you should only have to use the LFE(left) input.

How are you calibrating the system? Are you using the 3805's auto EQ system? Where do you have the volume knob on the sub set, and what is the sub setting on the 3805?
    -curtis

A couple things to try, joshua, while you are waiting for a response from Dr. Hsu:

1) Try plugging a port and running the subwoofer in maximum output (32Hz) mode on the amplifier. This will result in an overdamped response, which some people feel gives a tighter bass.

2) Give us a call and ask for a second port plug, so that you can try running the subwoofer in a "sealed" mode with both ports plugged.

Usually careful placement/setup will result in a well balanced sound for music, but it certainly would not hurt to try either of these options.

P.S. We actually started designing subwoofers first with music in mind, so quality of sound with music is very important to us!

Sincerely,
    Peter Marcks
    Hsu Research

Default Frequency sweep

If you ordered your sub from HSU did you get a CD with test tones on it? If not you can download some test tones from here. http://sinewaves.bfdguide.ws/

Try a 1/6th or 1/12th octave sweep and record your findings. Then correct the reading on the meter with these tables.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=505236

I have a VTF3 MKII in a modest room. I'm using a Denon 3805 and ascend setup much like yours. HTM 200 for souround. My sub seems weak some times (volume set to 9oclock) and like a monster sometimes. After I ran a sweep I found out why. I have a nasty dip at around 57hz. I can't move my sub to the correct location until I run some wires through my walls.

Just this last weekend I tried out Room EQ Wizard and ran a sweep with just the sub and one with both left/ring and the sub. I have some nasty valley to deal with in my room.

Good luck
    -john