Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any news on the multi-polar surround speakers?

Great.

But you also have to remember, after you change settings from dipole to bipole to direct....you also have to recalibrate the speakers.
    -curtis

^^^Wow, you really can't let this go, can you?

I DID rebalance...even re equalized, though I'm not sure how great the YPAO on my Yammy 2500 really is.

I tried it a bunch of different ways. Came to the conclusion that I liked the bi-poles best. Is that a crime or something?

yeesh.

Jon

I have been using QS-8's for several months now with my 170 mains. If I had not won them in a contest I would still be using direct-radiating two-way bookshelf surrounds. They work great, better than the other speakers. My son had a friend sleepover last Thursday, and he brought a DVD he wanted to watch with my son(and me!). During the movie his friend said:"Wow! That sounded like it came from outside!"

They blend really well, and give a seamless soundfield. If you are thinking of using a multi-polar(in this case, "quad")then the QS-8's will not disappoint.

If Ascend is going to come out with their own bi/di/quad/polar surround speaker I'd say go for it! But if you cannot wait for them to jump in that pool, go for the Q's. You can definitley sell them if Ascend offers something later.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_teller
    Came to the conclusion that I liked the bi-poles best. Is that a crime or something?
    Sorry if I came off badly. It's just that when sampling speakers, many folks don't give things a proper shake.

You did....and again, sorry.

As Mag said, the QS8's are great for the diffused sound.
    -curtis

Hey Curtis...sorry I snapped at you there...no excuse for that and I apologize I think I interpreted your remarks in the wrong way and failed to realize that you were trying to help...so my bad.

Friends?

OK...so thanks for the comments on the QS8s. I was intending to try them before I knew that Ascend had ever even considered diffuse surround speakers. I'm eager to upgrade my front speakers though, so when I discovered that the diffuse Ascends had once been on the drawing board, I figured I might save myself some trouble and money and just wait for them to arrive!

Still, I really like the sound of the Axiom QS8's...even more so than the bi/di-pole speakers I had tried in the bi-pole setting. so if they timbre match the Ascend front speakers well enough...it may be no big thing afterall

Like you said, I can try the Ascend diffuse speakers if/when they ever come out, but in the mean time, use the Axiom QS8s. That sounds like a reasonable course of action anyway

Jon