Thread: 340 port placement from wall

Default 340 port placement from wall

I will be purchasing 340 L/C/R soon as the SE's come out.
    Here is my question. The 340's have a port in the rear of the speaker. How will the sound of the speaker be affected by the surface of the wall that the port faces? What will the audible difference be if the speaker is placed 6 inches from a hard wall or 6 inches from a 4 inch sound absorber mounted to the wall right behind the speaker? Is there a recommendation for the surface behind the speaker? If so, why? Thanks in advance.

Chuck

I'd also like to know. Also, is there a "plug" for the port on the 340SE like there are for subs, and if so what is it's function? Would it make it easier to place?

The port has bass/mid-bass output that will reflect off the rear wall.

All rooms are different......so experimenting with placement in relation with the wall is key.

As for what is the best surface behind the speaker, I would guess some kind of sound deadening material.

Best to give Ascend a call on this one.
    -curtis

So, Davef, if you are listening, which is it? Live reflective surface or absorptive surface behind the speakers? I realize that it depends on the evironment in the room, but I am looking for a general rule of thumb.

Chuck