Thread: SUB or NO SUB...

Default SUB or NO SUB...

I know this has been asked 1000 times before on here. even by my once before.

Now it is months later and I am contenplating this again. Thinking of using some end of year money to buy a sub.

The problem is I don't really watch movies often at all. Rarely in fact.

I do listen to WAY more music than before the ASCEND's.

Mainly I watch HD sports, HD TV via Time WArner CAble.

So will a sub make that much difference. Friends of mine have said it will fill in the range for me. (they really don't know a thing about this stuff)

So, if I am not a big Bass guy, don't watch a lot of movies...will a sub make a difference? If so...which sub should I get? I never see myself trying to break th windows...

Thanks for the feedback...again...

Oh, I am using the 340's across the front and the 170's in the rear. Room is fairly large...28x17

I have the same setup 340 fronts + 170 surrounds and my STF-2 made
    a *huge* difference in watching movies and a *big* difference in listening
    to rocks. When I turn off the sub, the sound just doesn't sound as "full".
    I guess how big the difference is may also depend upon the type of music
    you listen to.

interesting>>>

now which sub....hmmmm

If you're mostly interested in music I would go sealed enclosure. AV123 makes a good sealed 10"sub. I heard it with some 170's. It sounded great.
    Nothing wrong with HSU either, does both worlds fine. I just got a VTF-3 MKII I'm very pleased with.

Good luck & good listening,
    Daman

For sealed subs, the Rocket UFW-10 or ULW-10 (Although your room is pretty big, so I'd check out the UFW-12 if you're rich ) and the ACI Force are good bets. I have also heard great things about the Adire Audio Rava. The Hsu models are very good as well (so I hear), but they're ported. That doesn't mean they can't sound as good as a sealed sub, but I've never done any comparisons. Seriously, I've always heard the Hsu models are excellent for music. For the size of your room, you may want one of the bigger ones, I dunno. Axiom Audio also makes some decent subs. If you want SVS, I'd check out the Ultra line. All that said, sealed is kind of nice

http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/force/force.htm

http://www.av123.com/products_catego...ofers&brand=10

http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/Rava.htm

Now, out of the bunch the only one I have actually listened to is the UFW-10. I have one and enjoy it for music. It definately doesn't have the guts for HT, though - and my room is approx 24 x 17 with a corner enclosed (but that's why I have a VTF-3HO Turbo on order). I may buy a second UFW so I can run them in stereo when I put together a 2ch setup in my living room.
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 12-19-2005 at 06:12 AM.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeQ
    So, if I am not a big Bass guy, don't watch a lot of movies...will a sub make a difference?
    On most music and movies you are missing the FOUNDATION of the sound without a subwoofer. The part the gives you the feeling. A band without a bass section is missing something, and so is your sound system.

Your 340's are great speakers, but they still need a sub to get everything out of the music.

As for which one.... have fun looking!

Default I agree with everything stated

In fact, it is fun when I'm in my car and people hear my sound system which has a nice tight sealed sub in the trunk. When I demo music with or without the sub, people are always suprised how much "fuller" the music sounds.

There is kind of a preconceived notion that a subwoofer must be only for rap music, and they'll sound like the crappy, bloated ones people hear from cars blasting their music for all to "enjoy.".

-Pete