Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ascends 340s and paradigm studio 40s

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    I know you don't want to hear this, but........

you need to do an A/B comparison, side by side, same equipment/acoustics or you are only guessing. The differences between two or more different speakers are virtually impossible to retain in our acoustic memory. That is the reason for the in-home trial.....your room, your electronics.

Oh, and the speakers should be level-matched when comparing as louder is usually perceived as better.
    I know about this, the guy at audiobuys local to my area won't let me do in home trials with his speakers.
    I agree with level matched speakers for comparison. I don't think i'm being fair to ascend in this regards. the total package i was quoted from paradigm dealer here for 7 speakers (studio 40mains, cc470, studio 20s rears, adp 470 surrounds) for $3K after tax. The ascend package will run me around $1600. It's almost half the studio setup.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhungvt
    Do you think the Ascend center stack up well against the RSC200 from av123?
    Yes...and I have heard them in the same room with the same equipment. Crossed at 80hz, or even 60hz....the extra extension advantage the RSC200 has becomes insiginificant.

With the 340c...if you get 340m's....you have matched soundstage. All of Ascend's speakers are well timbre matched. At AV123, some of their main speakers have fairly different timbre characteristics, but they only have the one RSC200.
    -curtis

there were no room treatment setup, it's not in a room, it's out in the open.
    Different rooms and different setups always have an effect on the sound....no matter if you have room treatments or not.
    -curtis

I know about this, the guy at audiobuys local to my area won't let me do in home trials with his speakers.
    I agree with level matched speakers for comparison. I don't think i'm being fair to ascend in this regards. the total package i was quoted from paradigm dealer here for 7 speakers (studio 40mains, cc470, studio 20s rears, adp 470 surrounds) for $3K after tax. The ascend package will run me around $1600. It's almost half the studio setup.
    If you are including a sub in the comparison of both systems, I say the Ascend setup can easily compare and take on the Paradigm package.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    If you are including a sub in the comparison of both systems, I say the Ascend setup can easily compare and take on the Paradigm package.
    My room will be 25'x16'x9'. Do you think the Ascend can fill the room? I'm looking for the following,
    Ascend when the new version comes out 340m, 340c, HTM for surrounds, 170 for rears. I'm on the pre-order list for the HSU-VTF3-HO. I want to get the 170 for surrounds, but that won't fit in the column, i,e, the column will be too deep for the surrounds. Wish Ascend makes dipoles here.

Right now, I have the money to afford even the av123 package (the ref3), or the ACI (essence system). One of the primary reason I'm considering the Ascend is their "value". What I'm afraid of is, the law of diminsihing return. I don't want to over spend if not needed. I'm going to audition the Essence Center tomorrow.

I've heard of the 340m in one instance and studio 40 in another, and quite frankly I listened at different times, place and electronics, so it's no fair comparison. I do like the 340m for the money, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Yes...and I have heard them in the same room with the same equipment. Crossed at 80hz, or even 60hz....the extra extension advantage the RSC200 has becomes insiginificant.

With the 340c...if you get 340m's....you have matched soundstage. All of Ascend's speakers are well timbre matched. At AV123, some of their main speakers have fairly different timbre characteristics, but they only have the one RSC200.
    Great!!, good to know. Maybe the new 340c will have lower extension .
    What you say is true about the timbre matching and that's very important. That's one of the reason i didn't go with av123. the other reason is because their dipoles are too wide to fit in my side columns

Here i thought the studios had better soundstage. I thought the center channel was on but it's not. I didn't get that feeling with the 340m.
    As others have posted here, this HAS to be due to room settup. My 340 mains throws a wonderful stereo image. To this very day I still have to double check my reciever to make sure that I am only listening to 2 channel stereo. Good luck on your search!

Randy

My room will be 25'x16'x9'. Do you think the Ascend can fill the room? .
    No problem at all!

Randy

I compared the two and preferred the 340s. When listening to studios on their own, they sound really good, but when compared to better speakers, the studios sound boxy and a bit muffled - not as real or natural. The only theory I have on why that is is because they are front ported, but that is just a guess. I can see if you prefer the soundstage and extension of the studios, but I can't agree that the studios have better imaging - the 340s really excel at imaging.

Unless aesthetics are a top priority, I'd go with the 340s, as they put out a better sound. BUT - here it comes - you should compare them both at the same time. Who is to say my tastes are the same as yours?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCallas
    I compared the two and preferred the 340s. When listening to studios on their own, they sound really good, but when compared to better speakers, the studios sound boxy and a bit muffled - not as real or natural. The only theory I have on why that is is because they are front ported, but that is just a guess. I can see if you prefer the soundstage and extension of the studios, but I can't agree that the studios have better imaging - the 340s really excel at imaging.

Unless aesthetics are a top priority, I'd go with the 340s, as they put out a better sound. BUT - here it comes - you should compare them both at the same time. Who is to say my tastes are the same as yours?
    Aesthetics are not my priority, all speakers will be hidden inside columns/false wall. I'll definitely order the LCR of the new ascend line up and demo 30days period.

as an aside, i went through most of your ascend funny story thread today and found that you didnt' compare 340s and studios 40s at the same time either?

After I finished reading your thread, I ran out right after work and went to my local audio shop and found they had the Boston VR3 for $999/pair on sale. I listened to it, while I like it, I didn't care much for the highs. So I guess my taste is a bit different from yours.

Oh, I didn't say the studio had better imaging than the ascends. I say they're about even. But for the money, the 340 is a better bet.