Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ascends 340s and paradigm studio 40s

Default Ascends 340s and paradigm studio 40s

Hello All,
    I'm in the process of selecting speakers and I'm pretty much down to either paradigm studio 40s setup I can buy locally here or Ascends 340s.

I have heard Ascends 340s and studio 40s at separate times with different setup and electronics. Since I last heard the studio 40s, I think the studio 40s are a little better.

Has anyone compared studio 40s with 340s in direct comparison and which they like more?

Please, no comments such as order/buy both and return one etc, only you can decide, etc.
    thanks,

Did you read Steve Callas' huge thread on AVS? He compared the 340 and Studio 4 directly in the same room with same equipment and prefered the 340's.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=591331

It is a huge thread...but good reading.

I have compared the Studio 60s to the 340s and thought the 340's had better mids and highs....mids are no contest IMO.
    -curtis

If anything, I'd wait for the SE's to come out before making any decision. Most 340 owners have probably not had the opportunity to compare these speakers directly, and certainly no one has heard the SE version yet.

What characteristic of the sound of the Paradigms did you feel was better?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Did you read Steve Callas' huge thread on AVS? He compared the 340 and Studio 4 directly in the same room with same equipment and prefered the 340's.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=591331

It is a huge thread...but good reading.

I have compared the Studio 60s to the 340s and thought the 340's had better mids and highs....mids are no contest IMO.
    Yes, you're right about the studio 60s, I heard the 60s and thought it had more bass feel and hit harder. I think the sub can do that, so your opinion helps me in this regard.
    Have you also compared the studio CC470 with the Ascend 340C? I didn't get to listen to the CC470 while i was there yesterday b/c they didn't have that setup.
    What I'm concerned most is the clear dialogue when watching movies so I do'nt have to turn on the subtitle or volume.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    If anything, I'd wait for the SE's to come out before making any decision. Most 340 owners have probably not had the opportunity to compare these speakers directly, and certainly no one has heard the SE version yet.

What characteristic of the sound of the Paradigms did you feel was better?
    I listened to the 340 and studio 40s at different times (couple months apart), so it's not really fair to compare. 340 i listened to was powered by NAD receiver (don't remember model, but older model). The studio 40s i listened to is powered by 2-channels stereo sunfire 300watts/channel.

Here i thought the studios had better soundstage. I thought the center channel was on but it's not. I didn't get that feeling with the 340m.

I haven't listened to the 340, but the problem in sound stage was most likely due to room or setup. In a good room setup correctly most speakers can give you that same feeling. Where you are sure the center channel is on when it isn't. Room acoustics plays a very large roll in this, as reflections play havoc with imaging.

I know you don't want to hear this, but........

you need to do an A/B comparison, side by side, same equipment/acoustics or you are only guessing. The differences between two or more different speakers are virtually impossible to retain in our acoustic memory. That is the reason for the in-home trial.....your room, your electronics.

Oh, and the speakers should be level-matched when comparing as louder is usually perceived as better.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    you need to do an A/B comparison, side by side, same equipment/acoustics or you are only guessing.
    Right as usual, Mag. I had the opportunity to audition both the 340M's and Studio 40's in my home before I made my decesion. It's been awhile so I'll try to stick to what I'm sure I remember.
    The 40's went lower for sure. I had a bit of a preference for the 340's in the mids and highs but I would have been happy with either choice. They were both very good. Both my wife (Her opinion was much more important in this than mine) and I liked the looks of the 340's better. Black just went so much better with our red oak mission funiture.
    Payment came strickly from me (my opinion was much more important ) and the price difference was substantial even with a discount from the Paradigm dealer.
    The Studio's did not have a better sound stage than the 340's. I can't recall preferring one over the other but the 340's are excellent in this regard.
    As to the question of the 340C's ability to handle dialog. I'm your best source of info on this one. I have a hearing deficiency centered around 1khz. That's roughly the mid-point of the human voice. The 340C is the best I've heard anywhere near this price point. I have heard good center speakers that cost lots more but I am thirlled with the 340's ability to handle dialog.
    I did not audition the 470 or any other Paradigm center so no comment on that.
    Keep us up to date on how your search develops.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    Right as usual, Mag. I had the opportunity to audition both the 340M's and Studio 40's in my home before I made my decesion. It's been awhile so I'll try to stick to what I'm sure I remember.
    The 40's went lower for sure. I had a bit of a preference for the 340's in the mids and highs but I would have been happy with either choice. They were both very good. Both my wife (Her opinion was much more important in this than mine) and I liked the looks of the 340's better. Black just went so much better with our red oak mission funiture.
    Payment came strickly from me (my opinion was much more important ) and the price difference was substantial even with a discount from the Paradigm dealer.
    The Studio's did not have a better sound stage than the 340's. I can't recall preferring one over the other but the 340's are excellent in this regard.
    As to the question of the 340C's ability to handle dialog. I'm your best source of info on this one. I have a hearing deficiency centered around 1khz. That's roughly the mid-point of the human voice. The 340C is the best I've heard anywhere near this price point. I have heard good center speakers that cost lots more but I am thirlled with the 340's ability to handle dialog.
    I did not audition the 470 or any other Paradigm center so no comment on that.
    Keep us up to date on how your search develops.

David
    thanks David for your input on this one. I hear a lot of "it's the best center I've ever heard" comment. If I go to av123 forum, they say their rsc200 center is the best center they've ever heard. If I go to ACI forum, they say their Essence V center channel is the best center ever.
    So in price comparison, Essence V costs $900, RSC200 costs $600, and Ascend Center is around $300. Not really fair to compare against others.
    Do you think the Ascend center stack up well against the RSC200 from av123?

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorror
    I haven't listened to the 340, but the problem in sound stage was most likely due to room or setup. In a good room setup correctly most speakers can give you that same feeling. Where you are sure the center channel is on when it isn't. Room acoustics plays a very large roll in this, as reflections play havoc with imaging.
    there were no room treatment setup, it's not in a room, it's out in the open.