I'd love some advice on a high placement for my Ascends and whether the 340s or 170s will work best. I currently have a set of 170s on 30-day trial. I really love them but will be sending them back asap to get on the SE list now that the SEs are out, and this gives me the chance to go with 170SEs or 340SEs.

This is for a stereo-only second system in our living room. My wife vetoed any normal speaker placement at ear-level, and given upgrades in progress (er, uh, sorry honey) to the HT room, I am loathe to contradict her on this second room. As a result, I have placed the 170s up on top of 7' tall book cases. The book cases are about 9' apart from each other on either side of a fireplace in the center of the room. I have the speakers angled down and toed in.

They sound surprisingly great -- in fact, almost as good as they did at ear level. I thought the bass would disappear and the ceiling might ruin the highs, but with the tilting down, it works well. And when I get a final pair, I'll bracket them in (these are just on door stops) and aim them down even more steeply at the listening position. Hopefully this will make it easier to set on-axis. The set-up will never be optimal, but the off-axis response of the Ascends is marvelous, and meanwhile having the speakers high like this creates a nice room sound that emanates into our kitchen well, and sounds great when you're walking around.

Here's the question: Does anyone think 340s could work in the same set-up? The 170s are laid on their side b/c there is not enough room between the ceiling and the top of the bookshelf to stand them up. Clearly the 340s would be on their sides too.

Will the 340s respond well to a side placement? Anyone have them placed horizontally and/or at an unconventional height?

Austinbirdman