Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hate to ask another 170 vs 340 question but this is with twist...

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    Now, if you're waiting for the SE I believe the tweeter will be the same in both speakers.
    Almost, in the announcement posts, DaveF said the Seas in the 340SE will have a different magnet, and I think higher power handling.
    -curtis

I'm on the waiting list for the 170SE but now vacillating between the 340 and the 170. My living room is on the cusp, approx. 3000 cu ft and I don't want to contract the "what if " syndrome but , of course, I need a new receiver,etc, etc... I guess there is no end to this lust for microscopic increases in audio quality limited only by the size of your bank account.

Rajacat,

Forget the bass extention issue.
    I bet you will not regret going up for the 340.
    Almost certainly, you will fall in the "what if..?" syndrom, if you get the 170.
    And surely, you'll go crazy if you get the 170 and then hear the 340.
    Remember: twice the sound for not twice the price.

Smile

Jorge... Well, I changed my order from the 170SE's to the 340's and maintained my position near the top of the waiting list. Hopefully, this will save me $'s by not having to see a shrink to alleviate the "what if syndrome".

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    Jorge... Well, I changed my order from the 170SE's to the 340's. alleviate the "what if syndrome".
    Most excellent move. Full report required sometime after delivery.

David

Now that I have my mains set, I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery of the woot subwoofer. I mentioned to James, when I changed my ascend order, that I ordered the wootwoofer and he gave a verbal shrug of the shoulders and a "you get what you pay for". Since I got rid of my old Rogers speakers, I just got some small Polks to use with the wootwoofer till the 340's arrive. I'm also expecting the Chaintech soundcard to arrive any day...

As a followup:

I did audition B&W 602s this past weekend. The B&Ws by themselves sounded good but in comparison to the 170s, the mid range and highs were not as clear. The bass extension was better but it was almost slightly boomy (maybe due the corner placement in my setup). Next weekend I'll probably audition the B&W 705s.

Anyways over the weekend I also got a velodyne vrf1200 sub to audition along with the speakers. Now I ran the fronts as small with the sub. A big big difference when watching movies. It takes the experience to another level, particularly feeling the low frequency vibrations.

But for music it is a different story. The sub seems off, almost as if trying to catch-up with the mains. The problem also might be that I have the sub in a corner behind my seating position. When listening to music I can tell the music is coming from the front speakers and a faint thump coming from the back. I tried switching the phase shift switch but didn't help much. Would EQing with a SPL meter help any? or is it just that the sub is not musical?

This sub has a variable cross-over and has a 180deg phase shift switch along with gain control. How should I configure this: set the receiver crossover to 80 and set the sub crossover to 160 (max) and set the gain dial to maybe half and control the sub volume through the receiver? I'm using the line out of the receiver to connect the sub.

I've just this afternoon hooked up my Dayton 10 with my Mission 761 speakers. I'm amazed at how flat the freq. repsonse is. It + - 5 db and after using it in my home theatre, I never would have guessed it could be that good in another room. Got a lot of work to do but working with everything you've mentioned, I'm looking for + - 3 db without eq.
    The room. It's everything (well, almost).

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    I've just this afternoon hooked up my Dayton 10 with my Mission 761 speakers. I'm amazed at how flat the freq. repsonse is. It + - 5 db and after using it in my home theatre, I never would have guessed it could be that good in another room. Got a lot of work to do but working with everything you've mentioned, I'm looking for + - 3 db without eq.
    The room. It's everything (well, almost).

David
    David:
    I am starting to do the same thing you are. Measure and treat the room. What did you do measuring with and what will you be treating the room with? Just today, I have put enough money away to purchase 2 340SE's w/a 340 center and 2 170SE's, so I am doing this in anticipation of their arrival in January or February. Sub to come later. Will live with Klipsch SW12 for now.

Chuck