Thread: Testing HTM-200 for use as center channel.

Default Testing HTM-200 for use as center channel.

I'm going to be testing the HTM-200 for use as a center channel tonight. If it's dynamic enough, I''m going to stick with 200s all around, if not, I'll be going with a 340SE.

I'm planning on using the opening scenes from Gladiator, and maybe some Matix for testing. Anybody got any suggestions for testing?

I'm in a 13 x 16 x 8 room, about 10 feet from the center channel.

Quote Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew
    I'm going to be testing the HTM-200 for use as a center channel tonight. If it's dynamic enough, I''m going to stick with 200s all around, if not, I'll be going with a 340SE.
    I'm planning on using the opening scenes from Gladiator, and maybe some Matix for testing. Anybody got any suggestions for testing?
    I'm in a 13 x 16 x 8 room, about 10 feet from the center channel.
    10 feet is a bit of a stretch. I could plug one of my 200's into the center channel and see what happens. I'm just eight feet from the front speakers. I'll try it if I get a chance tonight.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    10 feet is a bit of a stretch. I could plug one of my 200's into the center channel and see what happens. I'm just eight feet from the front speakers. I'll try it if I get a chance tonight.David
    I just did a comparasion of the 200 the 340C. I used Diana Krall's "Live in Paris" DVD and the movie, "Mystic River." The 200 did a nice job but I'm spoiled. The 340C is in a different category altogether. Especially with music. The further from the speaker, the more the difference will be noticed. You won't be disappointed either way but you will be thirlled with the 340.

David

I sit about 11' away and am very happy with my little HTM-200 center. OTOH, I haven't yet heard the CMT-340c so I don't know what I'm missing.... I use my h/k receiver's quadruple-crossover system to set a 100 Hz crossover for the HTM center, which lightens its load somewhat in the demanding center channel role... all other channels are crossed at 80 Hz. With this configuration, the HTM center copes very well, with excellent dialogue intelligibility and detail rendition, and only starts to sound slightly strained at the very highest levels.

If you need/want a very compact, reasonably priced center channel speaker, I don't think you can do much better. And the 100 hz crossover, if available to you, is probably ideal for this use.

Wow, thanks a lot for the great replies.

David, when you compared the two, what cross-over point were you using?

Quote Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew
    Wow, thanks a lot for the great replies.
    David, when you compared the two, what cross-over point were you using?
    80hz with the 340's and 80 and 100hz with the 200's. I'm not sure I heard a difference between the two crossover's on the 200's but back when I first got the 340's, I tried both and did notice a difference. 80hz was clearly superior with the 340's.
    My next receiver will have a lower crossover so I can experiment more with the 340SE's.

David