Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xitel Pro HiFi Link

Thanks, I appreciate that very much. I will probably buy it but I first want to read the reviews and articles to get up to speed on the technical issues. Can't beat the price and I have had nothing but good service and prices from newegg.com. It will be outstanding to have a digital jukebox.

I was thinking of getting a card like this, as my current motherboard (ASUS) built in sound does the upsampling thing.

However, I think I may have a bigger problem. I ripped my entire CD collection to lossless WMA with Windows media player, and I'm not happy, as there are static popping sounds when played back. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew
    My current motherboard (ASUS) built in sound does the upsampling thing.... there are static popping sounds when played back. Any ideas?
    This is more likely related to your motherboard audio, than your choice of format. Try to turn the master volume down a wee bit in your volume control panel and see if that helps with the pops.

[Edit: it's also possible WMP introduced the pops with its inaccurate ripping process. Read up on using the free EAC (Exact Audio Copy) program for achieving perfect 1:1 digital copies]
    Last edited by sensibull; 12-05-2005 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sensibull
    This is more likely related to your motherboard audio, than your choice of format. Try to turn the master volume down a wee bit in your volume control panel and see if that helps with the pops.

[Edit: it's also possible WMP introduced the pops with its inaccurate ripping process. Read up on using the free EAC (Exact Audio Copy) program for achieving perfect 1:1 digital copies]
    Also check out CDex, free ripping software, can use EAC for ripping, and Lame@256kbps or Monkey/Flac (lossless compression)

sensibull...Chaintech AV710 is no longer available at NewEgg. I checked out some other sources to no avail. It is good for 2 channel only @ 192 KHz which is good enough for me. If I want to run 6.1, I will just use my DVD player. Any other suggestions? Maybe I should just spring for a more expensive sound card or the Slim Device Squeezebox.

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    sensibull...Chaintech AV710 is no longer available at NewEgg. I checked out some other sources to no avail.
    There are 5 available on FleaBay for $31.95.

It is good for 2 channel only @ 192 KHz which is good enough for me.
    That's only if you're running analog. If you run optical, it doesn't matter what DACs are in the Chaintech. You'd be using the DACs in your receiver/pre-pro. [EDIT: Though you are correct that it can't send more than 2 channels above 48 kHz. In other words it won't pass DVD-A]

Any other suggestions? Maybe I should just spring for a more expensive sound card or the Slim Device Squeezebox.
    Not in that price range. There are tons of great cards out there for less than the price of a Squeezebox though...
    Last edited by sensibull; 12-06-2005 at 04:41 AM.

Yeah.....do your homework.

The SqueezeBox has some nice capabilities and cool bells and whistles....I like it a lot!

But, if it was convenient for me to hardwire my PC to my audio system, I would have gone that route instead. With a little work, it has a lot of capabilities.
    -curtis