Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xitel Pro HiFi Link

Question Xitel Pro HiFi Link

Has anybody here had experience with this device? It digitally connects your computer to your AV receiver via USB and optical digital cable while bypassing the sound card. It would be very convenient to keep your CD collection on the computer in either compressed or non compressed format and be able to program hours of custom programs. It supposed to have much better sound quality than wireless systems.

You should probably check these out as well...

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...bileinterfaces

Tascam, Roland, and others have simmilar units.

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    Has anybody here had experience with this device?
    I've been using this for quite awhile now. I run the analog cables to my two channel set-up in my study. I run the optical to my home theatre and I run the coax to my exercise room.
    The one biggest drawback is it upsamples everything to 48k. If you're looking for the highest quality sound, this is not the way to go. For my purposes, it's excellent. Any specific questions?

David

I was hoping that it would be a lossless device but I may get one anyway for casual listening. I'll check out the audio.com site that jparr recommended to see if any of those gizmo's will meet my needs. One good thing about the Xitel is the price.

Royal

Thanks for the link.

Royal

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    I was hoping that it would be a lossless device
    You don't necessarily need to bypass the soundcard. Many soundcards can deliver bitperfect digital out now, including the extremely popular Chaintech AV-710, which can be had for $25. I use it to pass Digital Dolby, DTS, and unmolested, lossless 44.1khz audio files from my HTPC to my receiver.

Can you hear any difference between CD's from your regular CD player and CD's from your computer via the Chaintech?

Royal

I just Googled av710 and found a bunch of reviews that will answer my questions. Thanks for the advice.

Royal

Due to its popularity, there is a ton of info about this card on various audio forums. Here are some of the better links:

Head-Fi Review
    Setup Guide
    Envy24HT-S - The Definitive Source

Let me know if you end up buying it -- I can offer very specific configuration info depending on what you want to be able to do with it.